The Home Improvement Thread

CowboyTaco

Sorry to hear that but it sounds like tinted primer. That's the oldest painter trick in the book. Find a small corner in a closet and try to peel some paint off. That will show you how many layers of paint you actually have.

We talked them into the remains of one of the 5 gallon buckets of paint for touchup when they finished one of the neighbors homes. It's actual paint from Sherwin Williams. I figured they must have gone with this color because it is extremely generic, and would be ready to be painted over since almost no one leaves an entire home boring gray.

I'm kind of thinking that I might do a chair rub rail along the wall and do a shade of blue below it and leave the gray on top. That way I don't have to take down my mounts and only have to paint half the wall. Plus, my chair is black is is leaving black marks on the wall behind my desk, so a darker blue would cover up what is there and hide any future marks. I also considered doing a garnet on bottom and gold on top since I'm FSU alum, but that isn't as generic and I don't want to limit potential buyers/tenants in the future.

Oswego

n00b
We talked them into the remains of one of the 5 gallon buckets of paint for touchup when they finished one of the neighbors homes. It's actual paint from Sherwin Williams. I figured they must have gone with this color because it is extremely generic, and would be ready to be painted over since almost no one leaves an entire home boring gray.

I'm kind of thinking that I might do a chair rub rail along the wall and do a shade of blue below it and leave the gray on top. That way I don't have to take down my mounts and only have to paint half the wall. Plus, my chair is black is is leaving black marks on the wall behind my desk, so a darker blue would cover up what is there and hide any future marks. I also considered doing a garnet on bottom and gold on top since I'm FSU alum, but that isn't as generic and I don't want to limit potential buyers/tenants in the future.

Text me a pic of the can and Ill walk it over to my neighbor and ask him if it's any good and about the rub marks. He's been a union painter for 20+ years and uses only their paint because it's typically a great product.

Maybe they thinned it down to spray it and used the wrong thinner. Who knows but my neighbor might

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Installed a ceiling fan/light in my daughters room. Been wanting to do it since we moved in 6 years ago. It's a 52" fan in a 14'x15' room.. moves some air on high!

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Kind of a home improvement... 99% done with the next size tegu home. He will be in this for 3-6 months and then into his final 8'x4' enclosure.

This also makes the sammich maker really happy (and her birthday is Tuesday).

20190818_145911.jpg

Built in adjustable light bar so we can add or move his heat lamps as needed.

20190818_150924.jpg

Silverback

Do the sliding doors lock shut? Curious if he can escape.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Kind of a home improvement... 99% done with the next size tegu home. He will be in this for 3-6 months and then into his final 8'x4' enclosure.

This also makes the sammich maker really happy (and her birthday is Tuesday).

View attachment 16661

Built in adjustable light bar so we can add or move his heat lamps as needed.

View attachment 16662

Do you want one of those big Mitsubishi TV’s?
You could convert it over to another lizard vision.

Free

Similar to this...
D745A6B7-5DD2-4822-85E0-F3B50081A2B9.jpeg

Silverback

This TV sucks... all it shows if reruns of a lizard show!! :D

tx_shooter

Staff member
Do the sliding doors lock shut? Curious if he can escape.

Yes; we have a lock that keeps the asshole inside. He has escaped a few times and the cats do not care for it.

@Taco Loco thanks, but hard pass. The next enclosure is going to be about the size of a large couch. The bottom will be insulated and will be plumbed for misters to keep humidity right.

Those shows tend to be the lizard just wanting to run around the house. Still working on fetch.

Taco Loco

Yes; we have a lock that keeps the asshole inside. He has escaped a few times and the cats do not care for it.

@Taco Loco thanks, but hard pass. The next enclosure is going to be about the size of a large couch. The bottom will be insulated and will be plumbed for misters to keep humidity right.

Those shows tend to be the lizard just wanting to run around the house. Still working on fetch.

My youngest son told me there was a show now that builds lizard displays/homes similar to those guys who build the aquariums.
Not sure what channel though.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Sounds like Scaled. I think it was on Animal Plant. They did some pretty impressive builds for a variety of reptiles. Sadly they did not get picked up for a second season.

Silverback

Scaled was a pretty cool show! They made some neat enclosures for sure.

Taco Loco

After having the same monochrome laser printer for the past 8 years, it’s time to upgrade!

Ordered a small business color la$er all-in-one today and 2 complete sets of toner; mofo weighs 65lbs, duplex scanning and printing- oh yeah!! Future plans is to scan all my past and present documents into digits and then shred or burn. The Laundry Fairy is a nonpartisan teacher, so she will be doing most of the printing.

AC8ABF3C-8BD5-43AE-A2EB-4147134065D4.jpeg

Silverback

That's nice. I was looking at getting one of the newer Epson All-in-ones with the Eco Tank's for ink. I hate buying cartridges.

Taco Loco

That's nice. I was looking at getting one of the newer Epson All-in-ones with the Eco Tank's for ink. I hate buying cartridges.

From what I read online, you can refill these toners as well and find instructions to reset the drum counts after replacing them. -I hope that information is correct.

I have been refilling my old laser one for years, cost about $30 for 3 bottles off eBay and each bottle/toner cartridge is good for around 3k pages.

Silverback

I used to buy more $$ printers for both the wife and I (not color laser prices.. but between 200-275).. and they would last 2-3 years.. just junk. This last time I spent about $100 on each.. I think mine was on sale for $70.. normally $120. But they seem to work fine for now. I scan more than I print. I did print a bill of sale yesterday though. :)

Taco Loco

Scaled was a pretty cool show! They made some neat enclosures for sure.

Oh another thing to consider, I could have bought a smaller printer with same functions, maybe 2/3 of that one I ordered, but because it’s a business model it’s cheaper to get the refilled toners from 3rd party companies because there are a ton more of toner cartridges out there.

Taco Loco

I used to buy more $$ printers for both the wife and I (not color laser prices.. but between 200-275).. and they would last 2-3 years.. just junk. This last time I spent about $100 on each.. I think mine was on sale for $70.. normally $120. But they seem to work fine for now. I scan more than I print. I did print a bill of sale yesterday though. :)

I bet that monochrome laser from 8yrs ago was $250 to $300, can’t recall but I know it seemed expensive back then.

Silverback

I should look into getting a simple black and white laser for just printing stuff.. because 90% of the time its just B&W I am printing. Hmm..

Taco Loco

New factory inks for my printer run $400, lol

318434D5-CBFB-405D-B9D7-4234C9FE02AC.png

Or purchase from 3rd party refilled inks for $42, lol

38EAC3E9-2E7C-49E5-BBF6-15B7CB4487C7.jpeg

Last edited:

Taco Loco

The toner cartridges I have take about 140grams to 150grams of Ink each. The cartridges will last a good 5 to 6 times of refills before you start having problems with the roller or diffuser wires etc.

Lifetime supply...
FCCAA3E2-9873-4406-9A0F-5FCF4547EB6E.png