The Home Improvement Thread

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I put in a 220 outlet at the old house without pulling the main breaker... probably one of the dumber things I've done in life.

But same thing.. one leg at a time and one hand only. Insulated tools.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’

Oswego

n00b
Since we were talking about concrete earlier. Here's my "expansion" joints.... or whatever they should actually be called.

View attachment 22816

thats a control joint and it did it's job just like it should have. It looks a little wonky but it worked so it was good enough. We were mixing terms up last time (control/expansion). Now if that crack starts spreading you need to caulk it so water doesn't run under the concrete and start washing out the base. I'd prob caulk it anyway but I get that stuff for free lol

CowboyTaco

thats a control joint and it did it's job just like it should have. It looks a little wonky but it worked so it was good enough. We were mixing terms up last time (control/expansion). Now if that crack starts spreading you need to caulk it so water doesn't run under the concrete and start washing out the base. I'd prob caulk it anyway but I get that stuff for free lol

Recommendation on caulk?

Taco Loco

Picked up some free pallets, broke a few down, put back together with about inch gap between planks, this will be a vertical wall in the Victory Garden either for herbs or strawberries, I also planted a row of Washington carrots, cow peas, and Bush beans.
B5FA2926-525E-436A-BAF4-1B28C92FD4AF.jpeg
84CB20F7-8E17-433E-9045-2207E238705B.jpeg

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I get my Bush beans at HEB

download.jpg

Oswego

n00b
Your folks clearing some trees out or neighbors finally building?

Taco Loco

Killed some time today getting some wood split. Probably got almost 2 cords today, still more to split but I made a nice dent in the pile. The Ferd rode like a Caddy on the way home lol
View attachment 22929

View attachment 22931

View attachment 22930

I have a bunch logs that need to be split, maybe a cord, and then 2 more small trees that need to come down.

I don’t want to buy a log splitter though, I will probably post an ad up on the nextdoor app and tag a couple surrounding neighborhoods and see if I can’t barter, do little bit of tractor work for exchange in using a log splitter, if not I may just rent one for a day.

PSU Taco85

Your folks clearing some trees out or neighbors finally building?

Just clearing out trees to reduce maintenance. The 11 acre farm next door is still for sale, land has been vacant for probably 7+ years now. Good for them, it stays quiet back there. The neighbor across the street is into racing so he just built a huge shop out back for his equipment but luckily they have alot of trees so you can barely see the garage from the street.

Taco Loco

Just clearing out trees to reduce maintenance. The 11 acre farm next door is still for sale, land has been vacant for probably 7+ years now. Good for them, it stays quiet back there. The neighbor across the street is into racing so he just built a huge shop out back for his equipment but luckily they have alot of trees so you can barely see the garage from the street.

Put in low ball offer for the land if it’s been vacant that long.

Taco Loco

Victory Garden is happening, the Zucchini is doing really well, and the tomato plants are growing several inches a day.
64499271-EB14-48F7-9978-14A21BB1EDC5.jpeg

The vertical garden wall installed, filled with compost/mulch, drip lines added on top and put in 50 strawberries plants, total crap shoot wether this works or not.
712BAAB5-431F-4C6D-806E-108973F12150.jpeg

0DCEBF63-53CC-4AD8-B9D1-D5647657BD52.jpeg

PSU Taco85

Put in low ball offer for the land if it’s been vacant that long.

trust me I thought about it. Right now they are asking crazy money for it, but maybe a low ball is what they need. The barn and house were knocked down years ago to reduce their taxes in can only assume. I could start a fresh build back there, and it butts up to state land so never a chance of a new neighbor. It still has a gas service and 12kv BD service ran back to the property so tying into utilities would be simple.

PSU Taco85

Taco Loco

I like it. How did you keep them vertical, bury into the ground a bit?

Three of the 2in galvanized fence pipes, it did not move much after packing in the compost. If the strawberries don’t grow, I’ll add some herbs to it.

Last edited:

Oswego

n00b
Recommendation on caulk?

Depending on your skillz....amount of time you have, and Money.

Self leveling is the quickest and easiest - also why it's more $$

I used tubes of limestone color (grey) polyurethane Sika about a decade ago that was "left over" from a job and tooled it in by hand. Can't beat free, but tooling it sucks vs self leveling.

#1 TIP: DO NOT BUY SELF LEVELING IF YOUR JOINTS ARE NOT LEVEL OR IT WILL NOT WORK

Must be a zoning or $$ issue. I know those houses are not cheap models so maybe a little too much $$ to build in that development these days? Could put a heck of a McMansion up back there for sure.

Three of the 2in galvanized fence pipes, it did not move much after packing in the compost. If the strawberries don’t grow, I’ll add some herbs to it.

looks good - I am going to save my gutters when I rip them off for a similar "vertical" type garden.