The Home Improvement Thread

Oswego

n00b
Isn't another of your fence incorrect as well? Like part of your property was on the other side of the fence your neighbor was maintaining?
On the right side my neihbor I'm cool with only has about 10' of property but I've let him park two cars wide over the years. The stake for the survey when I bought was literally placed in his driveway. I pulled it so the old man who used to live there didn't get flats. He died now his son lives there.

On the left side my fence is listed on the survey as being .3' over the concrete marker. That marker is the main marker for the entire court so shshshsh. Lol

I was thinking the same thing. Drill some large holes... fill with ??

Zoom in. That's about all I can say about that.

Oswego

n00b
Finally got a waterfront house. It's a 2 story with a 3 car garage, 3 bed/3 bath. Needs a total remodel since it hasn't been updated since the 80's.
Congratulations man! I wish you and the fam well on the endeavor. Time to plaster salt life stickers on the Volvo

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Congratulations man! I wish you and the fam well on the endeavor. Time to plaster salt life stickers on the Volvo
Hard No lol

Oswego

n00b
Finally got my hammock posts cut to height, sanded, and routed just in time for the sky to open up. Think I set them a year ago and yet to use them to sleep out overnight. Think when it stops raining I'll set up and sleep out tonight. Going down to the 40's so will be nice sleeping weather. Maybe grab some beers, have a campfire and do a foe camp trip.

20210416_120103.jpg

Think I'll use the cut offs from the posts along with some other scrap wood I have laying around to build a simple bench. I was going to make a "T" so I could hang some plants or a lantern from the posts but I'll just grab some cheap iron hangers for that. Skip all the work notching the 6x6's + a nice sitting bench would be better use so plan b it is

Oswego

n00b
Never quit early to set up my hammock and drink. Started thinking of the fire aspect and then the fact it's going on 17 years and I never used the pavers I got to make a permanent fire pit. Solved that and it's not moving from there. Going to go grab some sand, dinner, and beer so I can stain it tom and install Sunday. Should of stained the bottom prior to stapling the weed block but it is what it is. Now I got another bare spot from when I put the pavers in the "wrong spot" this winter

20210416_173501.jpg

CowboyTaco

Got the cabinets assembled and up.

20210417_110242.jpg

They look out of place without the cabinets, but this is better than having them on the ground.

What blows my mind is that these feel just as sturdy as the "heavy duty" / heavy gauge cabinet that I returned.

Oswego

n00b
Marketing. The cheapest is prob better lol

Oswego

n00b
Perfect day for staining finaly. 60*, slight breeze and overcast. Got all my horizontals knocked out. Tom I'll hit up the posts, start on the bottom sections, and my hammock stands.

20210417_180930.jpg

Funny cause the dark posts and horizontals has grown on me. Be pretty cool if I clear coated the infill, but too late for that since my front gates are done already

Anathollo

Staff member
Started at 4:30AM this morning demoing doors, door frames, all kitchen & bath drawers, fixtures and carpet. I tore out all the carpet and padding upstairs. Finally called it a day at 4PM.

I would've gotten more done had the dumpster showed up earlier. But I filled half of a 30 yard dumpster so far in 6 hours.

The electrical in this house is fucked. Found that out after looking some walls.

Basically everything is bad DIY or what good stuff they had is just wore out and at the end of it's material lifespan. So it'll be a full re-do at this point.

The subfloor in the upstairs is ALL standard framing 2"x6"s and the floor is really unlevel throughout. I've never seen a house have a subfloor like this and I'm thinking my only solution at this point to is to rent a machine and sand it down as level as I can get it (more than likely I'll have a contractor do that as I don't have that kinda time anymore).

Oswego

n00b
Sucks about the 2x6. My addition is off by over an inch. Bandsaw and table saws required to trim them out the floors so bad and still have it look good.

Stained all day. Got all the posts and horizontals done + 11 panels worth of top/bottoms. Leveled out my pit frame and got her full of sand for the pavers

20210418_190918.jpg

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
All the pipes replaced on the well yesterday.
20210418_171209.jpg

20210418_171215.jpg

New water filter housing, hose bib and cut off, and drain for cold water line.
Lines going to washing machine needs to be replaced and the shower handle/valve leaks in master bath. Not looking forward to crawling under this trailer trash house in rattle snake country.
20210418_112937.jpg

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Go put another low water drain by the pump facing downward in case of a freeze. As for rattle snake stuff.. pay someone. :)

Taco Loco

Go put another low water drain by the pump facing downward in case of a freeze. As for rattle snake stuff.. pay someone. :)

I have to dig the buried line and find the lateral going over to the existing water troughs, add drain and cut off, the well is up hill, so the one on the back of the trailer trash house should drain that as well. The hoses going to troughs have anti siphon brass connectors attached to hose bibs.

Taco Loco

Started at 4:30AM this morning demoing doors, door frames, all kitchen & bath drawers, fixtures and carpet. I tore out all the carpet and padding upstairs. Finally called it a day at 4PM.

I would've gotten more done had the dumpster showed up earlier. But I filled half of a 30 yard dumpster so far in 6 hours.

The electrical in this house is fucked. Found that out after looking some walls.

Basically everything is bad DIY or what good stuff they had is just wore out and at the end of it's material lifespan. So it'll be a full re-do at this point.

The subfloor in the upstairs is ALL standard framing 2"x6"s and the floor is really unlevel throughout. I've never seen a house have a subfloor like this and I'm thinking my only solution at this point to is to rent a machine and sand it down as level as I can get it (more than likely I'll have a contractor do that as I don't have that kinda time anymore).

I hope you took a bunch of clear pictures before demo, cause those can be used to protest taxes, most Texas residents are seeing 40% increase in proposed tax appraisals for 2021 because of the increased home values/sells.

Anathollo

Staff member
I hope you took a bunch of clear pictures before demo, cause those can be used to protest taxes, most Texas residents are seeing 40% increase in proposed tax appraisals for 2021 because of the increased home values/sells.
Yessir. My wife took all the photos.

Oswego

n00b
Very helpful down the line. I'm using framing and wireing pics from 15 years ago so see what I did behind the drywall.

Stupied rains on it's way so I stopped staining and started laying pavers for the pit. Thank goodness it all fits with about 1/4 extra.

Love math calculators for formulas on the web. Measured out sand cubic feet needed and hit it perfect.

20210419_113408.jpg

Just realized i screwed up the perimiter brick pattern. Oh well. I'm not going back. Now it matches the wood lol

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
When we built the last 2 homes I always went in and took shitloads of photos of the construction process to include all the framing, plumbing and wiring. We had some extra outlets put in the eves last Summer, I gave the electrician a bunch of photos so he wasn't starting from scratch.