The Home Improvement Thread

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I did buy a few old CarToons magazines from the 60's/70's and 80's a while back. I have those as well. Forgot about them. They are pretty cool, I remember them as a kid and found some on EBay.
http://www.hotrod.com/thehistoryof/cars_in_cartoons_history/
Sample
cartoonmagcover.jpg

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I remember those well.

SecretSquirrel

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Staff member

Silverback

Thats a good idea!!

texasislandboy

donde esta la NGAGE IT
Getting the down stairs spare room painted today. Had a few good offers to buy the condo but the people down here low ball you so bad on the first offer I get pissed off and come back with 174,999.99 just to make a point. I had some D bag offer me 145,000... after I sent him a counter for 174 he came back with 167. I told him not to waste my time. haha Lots of traffic and lots of offers.

Silverback

A buddy of mine just built a new place and didn't want this anymore and just gave it to me. SCORE!!
1099C90B-F9A7-4A49-AF53-916174B551B8.jpg

Between that and the 30" osculating fan on the wall I should be pretty set next summer.
null-73-5.jpg

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
AND the standup fan right next to the oscillating fan. lol

Silverback

Standup fan was not mine.

Anathollo

Staff member

Silverback

:D Old photo.. I gave it back.

Anathollo

Staff member
Well this is on a condo I'm working on the weekends and not really my house...

I installed, modified and plumbed 3 bathroom vanities. (The home depot ones aren't square, the counter tops that go on them aren't square and the walls I was mounting them to weren't square, so it was a PIA trying to make it look right). I also pulled out a microwave that the previous contractor had grouted in with the new backsplash he had installed. So I had to remove the cabinet above, chip out the grout, and break the face of the microwave to get it out (I'm putting a new one in it's place). I also ordered new stainless steel appliances for the condo, new fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave and washer&dryer that'll be delivered in a couple of weeks.
I also put in a new fan in the master room and prepped the tubs for new glass shower doors that I'll install next week.

I always tell people to get in writing what the contractor is going to do as well as get a name and address so maybe you can sue in small claims court. The previous contractor screwed the owner and left when the job was about %75 complete. So now the owner has to pay me by the hour to fix all of his mistakes or finish what wasn't completed. There are electrical boxes not installed in multiple locations(bare wire on drywall), incorrect or leaking plumbing, moist drywall that he tried to cover up from the shitty plumbing job, bad taping and floating, Granite wasn't drilled out correctly for the kitchen sink faucet, all the dimensions for the spaces where standard appliances are going to go are incorrect so I have to modify the new appliance or the space to make it fit, etc...

Last edited:

Anathollo

Staff member
Bump...this thread is acting strange by not putting what I type up.

Silverback

I hate doing plumbing work.. seems I make 3 or 4 trips to the store for various fittings every time I try. LOL

Anathollo

Staff member
I hate doing plumbing work.. seems I make 3 or 4 trips to the store for various fittings every time I try. LOL

I do the same exact thing. I usually buy a shitton of various fittings, use 3-4 of them and return the rest. lol
The toilet in the guest bathroom in that condo was leaking from the water supply line, so I repacked the nozzle and it stopped leaking. I came back 10 mins later and there was a puddle on the floor and that nozzle was bone dry. Sumbitch! So I found the leak in the rubber washers that hold the tank to the toilet. So I replaced those. Came back 10 mins later again and there was still a puddle of water on the floor! Mutherfucker! So I ended up pulling the whole tank off to find the gasket and flap are both bad. So I bought one of those complete replacement kits for $20 for it and I'm just going to replace everything. So annoying that the tank was leaking in 3 different places. The contractor had taken it off to paint the wall behind it and had installed it back incorrectly.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I've have the same deal with the bolts. Turns out the toilet came with plated steel bolts - It was the corrosion that caused the leak in mine. I replaced them with brass. I've heard plumbers saying that toilets need to be replaced every 5 years. I don't buy it but they say the calcium build up makes them less efficient over time. Could be but I will remain my cheap self and believe they last 10-20 years.

Anathollo

Staff member
I've have the same deal with the bolts. Turns out the toilet came with plated steel bolts - It was the corrosion that caused the leak in mine. I replaced them with brass. I've heard plumbers saying that toilets need to be replaced every 5 years. I don't buy it but they say the calcium build up makes them less efficient over time. Could be but I will remain my cheap self and believe they last 10-20 years.

Yeah that's BS. I would say maybe the internals need to be swapped out bc of the cheap plastic parts breaking or the metal corroding. But a toilet will last a long time.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Did some more work in the man cave. Ran power and coax to the wall where the TV will go. Also added some 2x4s between the studs so I have a much bigger area to mount the TV.
I am starting to get scared because things are going good with this. Something shitty always comes up when I take on big projects like this.

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..

Silverback

Added a vise to my fab table. Things a beast.. UPS guy hates me I'm sure. 75 pounds. Jaws reverse and open up to 14"! I still need to get another grade 8 1/2" bolt. The one I grabbed was too long for that back corner.

vise.jpg

Anathollo

Staff member
Well we are missing a lot of posts from this thread. It says Andy started it. lol