Tire Mount

Metalmiller

I came up with a design for a tire rack that attaches to the bedrail. These are made to fit a variety of tire sizes. Here are some pictures... I am working up pricing in the next day or so. I also have a video of a test that I will post next time I get a chance to upload it. I was very pleased with how solid the rack turned out... it didnt budge at all with the brake tests, peeling out around corners and even the ramp (as seen in the video). I will be taking orders as soon as I get a final price. Please leave me some feedback!

Shoot me an email with any questions, metalmillerorders@gmail.com.

Mount Test Video

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Nice. Easy install too. :)

taco4x4rar

So Andy still dosn't have a full size spare huh:rolleyes:
Anyways looks good not much use for me but still looks cool.

texasislandboy

donde esta la NGAGE IT
haha i have a full size spare....... its just not in or on my truck haha i leave it at the house those tires are drews and were just for testing but man that thing is solid..

AlienXtx

Nignog

texasislandboy

donde esta la NGAGE IT
haaha yea it wasnt bad at all those stock leafs are about to fall out of my truck but other than that it was fine

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
I would try to find a way to make the height adjustable.

Silverback

I would also ensure the tire was up tight against the side of the bed when the lugs where tightened. The tire hanging out there with only that single support, and without the side support, is going to vibrate and over time it will cause that c-channel to fail where the mount attaches. I've seen Jeeps tire carriers fail due to the same issue, its why they sell different size spare tire bumpstops for them. So being able to be adjusted up-down and in-out would be good.

Metalmiller

I was planning on offering different heights for the different sizes... I'm getting a few made up tomorrow. As far as the single support, the bolts are spread out across 3.5" on a 5" backing plate that is waterjet cut to be a tight fit in the rail. I would think that would hold in the C rail pretty well.. is it still going to be a concern?

Silverback

I was planning on offering different heights for the different sizes... I'm getting a few made up tomorrow. As far as the single support, the bolts are spread out across 3.5" on a 5" backing plate that is waterjet cut to be a tight fit in the rail. I would think that would hold in the C rail pretty well.. is it still going to be a concern?

Well the thing is not the clamping force area, I think its the vibration that over time will cause it to fail. Especially since that C channel isn't that robust to begin with. I'm sure it will take a long time, and it will most likely be fine. But if someone drives down washboard roads or wheels it hard on a regular basis I think it might cause it to fail sooner than most.

But if the tire is snug up against the side of the bed and held tight then the vibration issue should not be an issue.

I had my spare tire in the same spot before, I had a OEM tie-down and then I attached a ratchet strap to it and had it through the middle of the rim and then to the bed bolt tie down. Held it well, but I always could feel that OEM tie-down flex and thought that during an accident it would go flying.

AlienXtx

Nignog
I with Sean on this, I have a feeling it wouldn't last me more then a few months on my dirtroad. I've had problems with just toolboxs comming off from the vibration tearing the sheet metal on bed rails, pretty sure the composit bed would be worst. The is the reason I never mounted my ammo cans to the rail, but then again I have yet to lose my fire extinguisher that is mounted straight to the bedside or my highlift that is bolted to the rail ( only been on there for a month/2-300 miles).