Tools!

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Silverback, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

I mean they make some HUGE pelican cases now lol
    Yessir, per range trip. It'll hold all my shooing accessories, targets and ammo.

2. Oswego

Oswego n00b

this....

right now just trying to decide what to do in terms of chainsaws. Got three more trees I want to drop and my 18" that's 20+yo & 14" that's 30+yo are both getting real tired + both leak oil and or gas or both like crazy. I really don't use one often but having used them for 20+ years I really don't want some dumbed down homeowner big box low quality saw. Figure after I drop the trees the saw will only be used for storms or trail rides...decisions decisions

3. CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco Well-Known Member

I hate to admit it, but I was pretty impressed with Zech's E-Go chainsaw in Arkansas. Then again, my POS wouldn't start at all that trip. So it didn't take much to impress me....

4. tx_shooter

tx_shooter Looking for my missing spare time Staff Member

The e-go chainsaw is not a great saw for commercial use; but it does a good job for storm cleanup, lot clearing, and general use. I really appreciate the lack of buzz noise and low vibrations. I can use it for a day and my hands are fine the next day. But if I had to use it day after day I would get a bigger chainsaw.

But after having it for two years now I still have no problems putting a battery in it and cleaning out branches in a hurry.

5. tx_shooter

tx_shooter Looking for my missing spare time Staff Member

I think that trip really showed the difference in types of chainsaws in my opinion. The gas chainsaws were great for extended periods of cutting large trees. The smaller electric chainsaw was great for quick-to-cutting and medium sized trees. If we had to use it anymore than we did the batteries would have become an issue though.

6. CowboyTaco

So I finally bit the bullet and bought a real torque wrench yesterday. It's hard to pay $90 for a torque wrench when the $10 HF special has done me well. However, the HF stops at 150 ft-lbs and the Husky that I bought goes to 250. The new one is longer than my breaker bar. Guess it's time to upgrade the breaker bar :D.

In the end, I wish I would have bought the nicer one to begin with....something about buying and crying....

tx_shooter and Oswego like this.
  7. Oswego

Oswego n00b

I just had an mental breakthrough... I must buy gas and should get a pro/HD model.

#1) I'm looking to buy raw land in the future and clearing out the timber for roads and a pad site will be a task I take on myself.
    #2) If I want to use it for storms.....we lose and have lost power for over a week at my house so charging batteries could be an issue.
    #3) will need to heat future property and wood is my #1 choice

Best of both worlds would be a gas saw with 18" - 20" bar for 99% of cutting and a 14-16" electric for trail rides and homeowner type stuff.

tx_shooter likes this.
  8. achirdo

achirdo 2WD FTW

CowboyTaco and Oswego like this.
  9. CowboyTaco

Hopefully that will be good for the resale value of my house there!

10. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

I had a Husqvarna Rancher model chainsaw that was a badass. I ended up leaving it in Freer at Jason's ranch the last time I went (hunting fees I guess lol)

11. Anathollo

It's still in the bed of his Tacoma. It's his full time truck chain saw. We used it on our Moab/Colorado trip :)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  12. Oswego

Oswego n00b

13. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

Well at least someone's getting use out of it lol

Oswego likes this.
  14. Anathollo

20160628_162005.jpg
    20160628_161950.jpg
    Sucks that it'll be a few years until I can get back out here.
    20160630_075704_zpsdom9kf3h.jpg

CowboyTaco likes this.
  15. achirdo

achirdo 2WD FTW

Same hoping they up the quality enough that they will make stuff worth buying again. And get rid of their awful ratchet design...

16. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

Replacing the Pump on my jack.
    20190531_103347.jpg

Silverback and Anathollo like this.
  17. achirdo

achirdo 2WD FTW

If and when the pump on my harbor frieght jack goes I hope that one fits because I love that little jack.

Anathollo likes this.
  18. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

Direct replacement from Snap-on, so I guess it depends on how close the Chinatown one is to the original lol

19. Silverback

Silverback I'm not always a dick. Just kidding, fuck off.

Harbor Freight and jack are three words I don’t feel comfortable with in the same sentence.

AlienXtx likes this.
  20. Silverback

Silverback I'm not always a dick. Just kidding, fuck off.

Like “safe sex hooker”.