Tools!

Oswego

n00b
They are the tits. Especially the smaller portable ones my electricians use for cutting conduit.

pretty sure the criminals around here are using them to steal cats lol

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
pretty sure the criminals around here are using them to steal cats lol
Wouldn't doubt it as they are quieter than a sawzall

Oswego

n00b
Where have you guys been buying your Milwaukee tools at? Big box HD is running a sale and it's pretty much everything I need besides a circular saw. I can't find it cheaper or an exact kit that's got everything I want, but general searches don't always find the best deals. Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Combo Kit (3-Tool) with Free M18 Multi-Tool and PACKOUT Rolling Tool Box-2997-23SPO-2626-20 - The Home Depot

Searched the normal places I buy work tools at but none of them have the free osculating tool and are all the same price $449.00. Also not willing to compromise on the quality. I want their best stuff so hopefully next time I need to buy a new kit it's 20 years from now. Figure if I can run DeWalt 14v for 20 years.....

BTW - F this humidity. I'm ready for winter. Think I lost a gallon of water mowing my lawn today.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
I have the best luck on Milwaukee tools between Home Depot and Amazon. The end warranty is the same after 30 days.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
CPOMilwaukee

Oswego

n00b
I have the best luck on Milwaukee tools between Home Depot and Amazon. The end warranty is the same after 30 days.

30 day warranty? WTF?? I didn't buy anything. Ended up watching a bunch of critical reviews of big red that scared me.

Hilti seems to have much better quality than the rest but the prices are double. I'm going to look into seeing how much they are through the local rep. Ive known the guy for almost 15 years off and on so maybe I can talk to boss into opening a fleet account that I can piggy back onto.

CowboyTaco

I know others will disagree, but I've had good experience with my Ridgid stuff from HD. Lifetime Service Agreement (a.k.a. warranty) and battery replacements for life. I've had to take 2 tools in for service. 1 was my hammer drill. It was abused trying to get off some stuck nuts on a u-bolt. It was me who was an idiot for trying so long....I guess I was just hopeful or something. Either way, a bit got lodged in the chuck and then broke. It was clear that it had been abused and that it was my fault. They replaced the entire chuck assembly at no cost to me with no questions asked. The other was JobMax tool. It wasn't abused, but had seen a LOT of use. I had to take it back for service about 3 times. They replaced everything but the body between the first and second trips. On the third one, they just gave me a new unit and let me keep the additional head that came as a replacement on the first go-round, so now I have a spare.

My Ridgid stuff gets used a lot. The quality of tools and the ease of customer service are great. I have no problem recommending them to anyone.

...Just make sure you register your purchase within the specified time period, which I think is 90 days.

Anathollo

Staff member
30 day warranty? WTF?? I didn't buy anything. Ended up watching a bunch of critical reviews of big red that scared me.

Hilti seems to have much better quality than the rest but the prices are double. I'm going to look into seeing how much they are through the local rep. Ive known the guy for almost 15 years off and on so maybe I can talk to boss into opening a fleet account that I can piggy back onto.
Yeah Hilti is def better quality but you pay for it. You need to get into the mindset that power tools are consumables now. A 14v DeWalt that lasts 20 years doesn't exist anymore. All these new tools have all been engineered to fail within a certain time span.

tx_shooter

Staff member

If you buy at Home Depot you have a 30 day in store warranty; but after that it is the standard Milwaukee warranty through them. I have warranted one drill after one too many drops from a ladder and it was quick turn around.

Last time I looked they have 3 or 5 year warranties depending on the tool.

Oswego

n00b
I know others will disagree, but I've had good experience with my Ridgid stuff from HD. Lifetime Service Agreement (a.k.a. warranty) and battery replacements for life. I've had to take 2 tools in for service. 1 was my hammer drill. It was abused trying to get off some stuck nuts on a u-bolt. It was me who was an idiot for trying so long....I guess I was just hopeful or something. Either way, a bit got lodged in the chuck and then broke. It was clear that it had been abused and that it was my fault. They replaced the entire chuck assembly at no cost to me with no questions asked. The other was JobMax tool. It wasn't abused, but had seen a LOT of use. I had to take it back for service about 3 times. They replaced everything but the body between the first and second trips. On the third one, they just gave me a new unit and let me keep the additional head that came as a replacement on the first go-round, so now I have a spare.

My Ridgid stuff gets used a lot. The quality of tools and the ease of customer service are great. I have no problem recommending them to anyone.

...Just make sure you register your purchase within the specified time period, which I think is 90 days.

Ive got some Ridgid stuff. Few sanders and some brad nailers. I like their stuff but if I'm dropping coin on drills and impacts I don't want any regerts from going with a lesser grade tool (homeowner vs commercial).

Best thing Ive heard while researching.... you want good tools? Go see what the local commercial tool rental place is renting and that's typically a good start. And I mean a large distributor like I use here in Philly. Small mom and pop rental is swayed more by initial price more than long term service and dependability.

Yeah Hilti is def better quality but you pay for it. You need to get into the mindset that power tools are consumables now. A 14v DeWalt that lasts 20 years doesn't exist anymore. All these new tools have all been engineered to fail within a certain time span.

Watching some reviews it seems like 300hrs is the norm for "pro-consumer" tools from big box stores, 100hrs for Harbor freight, and much longer on commercial.

If you buy at Home Depot you have a 30 day in store warranty; but after that it is the standard Milwaukee warranty through them. I have warranted one drill after one too many drops from a ladder and it was quick turn around.

Last time I looked they have 3 or 5 year warranties depending on the tool.

Ah thats much better. Hilti is only 2 years for fleet service, no idea after that.

tx_shooter

Staff member
The majority of contractors around here run Mileaukee and DeWalt. I think that has more to do with the big box stores here also having good sales and warranties with them.

Anathollo

Staff member
Ive got some Ridgid stuff. Few sanders and some brad nailers. I like their stuff but if I'm dropping coin on drills and impacts I don't want any regerts from going with a lesser grade tool (homeowner vs commercial).

Best thing Ive heard while researching.... you want good tools? Go see what the local commercial tool rental place is renting and that's typically a good start. And I mean a large distributor like I use here in Philly. Small mom and pop rental is swayed more by initial price more than long term service and dependability.

Watching some reviews it seems like 300hrs is the norm for "pro-consumer" tools from big box stores, 100hrs for Harbor freight, and much longer on commercial.

Ah thats much better. Hilti is only 2 years for fleet service, no idea after that.
If you're buying these tools for yourself than Milwaukee will do just fine.

If I was bringing Hilti tools to a jobsite, I'd have them chained to me as they'd be stolen as soon as I turned my back lol

Anathollo

Staff member
The majority of contractors around here run Mileaukee and DeWalt. I think that has more to do with the big box stores here also having good sales and warranties with them.
Price, availability, tool-selection (all the different tools they offer that run off the same battery), etc... and once you buy into a battery eco-system they have you by the balls.

Oswego

n00b
Yea, I think Ill take the Millwalkee plunge - just want to insure the Hilti isn't a few $$ difference. Sent the rep an e-mail today. After all they are the same company, but w/Hilti the rep comes to you and gives you a spare tool while they work on yours.

Makita also rated pretty high, but we have them here at work and I'd like to avoid the common pitfalls they have.

I also heard Home Depot is selling Hilti so I guess there goes that brand right down the gutter like the rest have

Oswego

n00b
Ended up pulling the trigger last night. Figured the money I would of spent this weekend could be diverted w/o making budget issues.

Got this guy on order: Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Combo Kit (3-Tool) with Free M18 Multi-Tool and PACKOUT Rolling Tool Box-2997-23SPO-2626-20 - The Home Depot

Also spoke to my mom and asked her how she likes her M12 set up I got her. She read the manual and is so scared of it she hasn't used it yet. I need to go over and show her how to use the impact and drill.

Amazes me the hangups some people have. This woman will cut glass w/o gloves on and is afraid to use a drill. Heck she cut off her darn left hand fingres using a chop saw w/o a guard and Ive seen her swing a chainsaw around when I was a teen. Guess age and wisdom might have kicked in. I only got her the M12 because she's so small I thought the M18 torque would kill her lol

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Ended up pulling the trigger last night. Figured the money I would of spent this weekend could be diverted w/o making budget issues.

Got this guy on order: Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Combo Kit (3-Tool) with Free M18 Multi-Tool and PACKOUT Rolling Tool Box-2997-23SPO-2626-20 - The Home Depot

Also spoke to my mom and asked her how she likes her M12 set up I got her. She read the manual and is so scared of it she hasn't used it yet. I need to go over and show her how to use the impact and drill.

Amazes me the hangups some people have. This woman will cut glass w/o gloves on and is afraid to use a drill. Heck she cut off her darn left hand fingres using a chop saw w/o a guard and Ive seen her swing a chainsaw around when I was a teen. Guess age and wisdom might have kicked in. I only got her the M12 because she's so small I thought the M18 torque would kill her lol

Nice man... now save a few hundred and buy the big dog 1/2" impact wrench.. oh yeah. They make several 1/2" versions.

Oswego

n00b
Nice man... now save a few hundred and buy the big dog 1/2" impact wrench.. oh yeah. They make several 1/2" versions.

Ive got one of the old school Craftsman corded impact guns for now. She's been good to me, but is getting long in the tooth. When she blows up Ill look for a new one but for now I'm on a strict budget. Done spent way to much money this summer already & started digging into my "FU money" (emergency reserve fund so I can quit whenever I want).

Pretty good 1/2" cordless drill testing I used to make my decision. These guys and the crazy Canadian AvE are what I used to make my final choice. Best Cordless 1/2" Hammer Drill - Tool Box Buzz Tool Box Buzz

Oswego

n00b
Here's a good link so you know what company is owned by what conglomerate Tool Brands: Who Owns What? A Guide to Corporate Affiliations

This doesn't mean another company doesn't make their tools. Companies like Ridgid sell out their name and manufacturing to anyone with $$$ so their manufacturing quality and materials can be all over the place.

AlienXtx

Nignog
I agree . The DeWalt, they dont last like they use too. I still prefer them over others (besides my Snap-on), but I do have a ridged hammer drill I've had good luck with so far.

CowboyTaco

Bought some Husky wobble extensions tonight.

Not worth a pic, but they sure were helpful with the driveshaft removal and install.