Tools!

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
1EA7BAE8-DD26-4E72-A370-827496D441EE.png

CowboyTaco

Better to get Gear Wrench stubby set or Husky full length set? Both need 5* to turn a fastener and say they don't round edges even though they look pretty old school on the open end.

Gear Wrench comes out to 7 pieces for $20 is about $2.86 per wrench.

Husky set is 20 pieces for $50 and comes out to $2.50 each. Has more sizes and same brand as my others. + lifetime warranty.

I like the idea of the stubby for small spaces, but not for torque. Not sure when the stubby size would come in handy.

balakay

BabyMax
Better to get Gear Wrench stubby set or Husky full length set? Both need 5* to turn a fastener and say they don't round edges even though they look pretty old school on the open end.

Gear Wrench comes out to 7 pieces for $20 is about $2.86 per wrench.

Husky set is 20 pieces for $50 and comes out to $2.50 each. Has more sizes and same brand as my others. + lifetime warranty.

I like the idea of the stubby for small spaces, but not for torque. Not sure when the stubby size would come in handy.

It's not a matter of which one. They're two different tools for two different purposes. If you only want one set, I'd buy full size wrenches. But when you need a stubby, you need a stubby, and nothing else will work. I'd say if you dont see an immediate need for stubbies, buy the full size wrenches and then add the stubbies later when you do need them. Having both is the best bet. Also, the full size GearWrench ratchet wrenches are also 50% off at Advance Auto as well as ratchet and socket sets.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I really like these things. Gonna need to get a few more in various sizes.

FAE02797-4588-4F2F-BC7E-9F2762999656.jpeg

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
I have some of their tool sets in my "when the money tree becomes a forest" cart. I should have not used yours when we swapped your UCAs.

Silverback

These are the smaller 7" versions, they have 5, 10 and 12" as well.

Silverback

But yeah, I can probably remove the other similar style pliers from my top drawer to make room for these. Move those to the trail box. I still need to populate it.

Silverback

Just ordered some at work. So maybe I'll have them sometime in the next 3 months...

Amazon baby.. 2 days done. Get your boss on board. ;)

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I want to make a 5S tool set for all the tools I would need for maintenance as well as SHTF desert recovery. Something that only had what I need. ...but over a broad range of situations.

Silverback

A while ago, I had to replace a wheel bearing (no shit right) so I only used what was in my trail bag and it worked. But then I over thought everything and it became huge!

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
A while ago, I had to replace a wheel bearing (no shit right) so I only used what was in my trail bag and it worked. But then I over thought everything and it became huge!
I used to carry a grinder that I plugged in the bed a number of times. WTF? lol

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
It would never get approved. We have to spend 4x the price with Grainger and put up with their shitty shipping.
Same here. Unbelievably frustrating.

Oswego

n00b
anyone happy enough with their line wrenches to give me a reccomendation? I need to buy some and am totally clueless. Never bought or owned any, but now it's time. Not looking for Snap on type pricing, but I want quality that will last a lifetime. time for new brake lines on the Taco

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
anyone happy enough with their line wrenches to give me a reccomendation? I need to buy some and am totally clueless. Never bought or owned any, but now it's time. Not looking for Snap on type pricing, but I want quality that will last a lifetime. time for new brake lines on the Taco
For quality for cost I typically recommend Gearwrench. Never had an issue with my sets. But for line wrenches, it really doesn't matter that much since you won't be using them a lot. I bought a multi-set at Vatozone for cheap because I needed them that day and they've lasted me a long time because they just don't get used that much.

CowboyTaco

Is a line wrench and a flare nut wrench the same thing? I've been very happy with these: Husky SAE & MM Flare Nut Wrench Set (6-Piece)-HFNW6PC - The Home Depot

Plus, you get that lifetime no-questions-asked warranty. As @Anathollo said, you won't use them very much.

Silverback

I have a few sets, have 2 sets of Craftsman (SAE and Metric) that are your standard wrenches, they work great. Have 2 sets of the Gearwrench with the ratcheting flex head. To be honest I have yet to use them although I need to replace an old brake line so I need to get them out. Finally I have a single Armstrong ratcheting flare nut wrench in 10mm which I've used a few times, it works good but not for super stubborn lines.

IMG_3499.jpg
IMG_3500.jpg
IMG_3501.jpg
IMG_3502.jpg