TOR Victory Gardens

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Todays Pickens, my zucchini plants are about gone from the vine borers, I have some replacement Z plants that need to be planted.
I need to source some bamboo, I have a couple mater plants 6 feet+ tall, I will pick another round of cucumbers tomorrow that should be enough to make another 10 jars of pickles.
3869E4F3-1DAC-4EA9-9B0D-36C9E30084C8.jpeg

In part of keeping up with IPM, disc 3 sides of the Victory Garden this evening.
FE05A649-156D-47CD-A36C-ED813CE5846A.jpeg
0AB3960E-50C1-4161-B09B-A43A74D1449C.jpeg

Wknd. lol
50ED04B4-B27C-4B6D-BB98-C6D3420C891E.jpeg

Last edited:

Taco Loco

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
metal with a plastic liner

Silverback

Just laid some black (should I say Africa American?) plastic inside it.. it does not cover the whole thing though. Not all the way up the sides anyhow. What do I need to be worried about? Leaching?

Taco Loco

Just laid some black (should I say Africa American?) plastic inside it.. it does not cover the whole thing though. Not all the way up the sides anyhow. What do I need to be worried about? Leaching?

What type of metal?

Silverback

Galvanized I would guess.. typical stock tank.

Taco Loco

Galvanized I would guess.. typical stock tank.

yeah gal has heavy metals in it, especially lead, when it’s just water, as a stock tank is perfectly fine, the minerals in the water will coat the tank, essentially make the water safer to drink, but still not 100% ideal. Now adding soil, water and fertilizer, the metal will eventually break down and leach over time, not ideal.
I’m not a big fan of using metal containers, the metal heats up and can burn the roots if its is not insulated, some folks use the big plastic containers inside metal containers like this, typical it’s best to have a 2in layer rock, then quality weed fabric, then with containers buried, this allows the soil to drain, and the soil within the containers will have very little to no leaching soil/water from the main trough area.
Check the inter webz for ideas for safer ways to grow food in galvanized containers, not really in my lane.

Oswego

n00b
Fabric planters are all the rage these days because you never need to worry about root burn + they are cheap and disposable just how we like everything. Anything put in metal in a hot sunny climate - watch out for the heat.

I was actually thinking of doing the same with the galvanized feed stock tub but the root burn thing got me to change my tact. Might do one wood raised bed. I didn't even think of the chemicals

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
The little one is not a little as I remember. What are you feeding her?
Dude! That's what I was thinking! It really puts it in perspective when you compare her size to the lawnmower. Making me feel old now lol

Silverback

Went and ordered two more stock tanks and picked up a LOT more 3mil vinyl to line them. Got the 4'x2'x2' versions. Gonna line them better than I lined the 6' version and then transfer all the soil into them. Clean out the 6' and re-line it much-mo-betta and add new dirt/rock.

Silverback

Dude! That's what I was thinking! It really puts it in perspective when you compare her size to the lawnmower. Making me feel old now lol

Those pics I had left the seat pushed back... forgot it adjusts. derp.. Once I adjusted it forward she was having a blast.

Anathollo

Staff member
Those pics I had left the seat pushed back... forgot it adjusts. derp.. Once I adjusted it forward she was having a blast.
Ha nice! Get her driving early as well.

Silverback

Oh I will. Trying to talk the CFO into getting a golf cart. Her response is "why".. because as a response isn't working. :)

Oswego

n00b
Our local University is a darn good resource for our region. Everything from ground temps to species selection is covered by them.

Finally made a trip to my moms to drop off supplies yesterday. Got her all set up for growing organic non-GMO heirloom tomatoes. Usually she grows in Miracle Grow chemical dirt and gets GMO science experiment tomatoes from Walmart or similar big box store that uses chemicals to grow plants in a lab. This year she's set up for some healthy gardening. Got her two of a few different strains so she can figure out what works best in her light. All from a local nursery supply store with multiple HUGe greenhouses that is known for organics and grows everything themselves from seed. Again - skipped the middle man whent direct to where the farmers and pro's go. The middle men is what screws up prices and marketing. Jjust go back to the olden days and skip the big box crap IMHO. No HD or Lowes or Walmart supplying farmers 30 years ago so who needs them now?

Unlike retail sold food, planting materials like dirt can claim to be organic w/o actually being safe. Oil and lead are organic - doesn't mean you can consume them. If it doesn't have a OMRI testing cert - I didn't buy it. Figure if I'm going to set her up might as well be the best I can do for her health. Everything from the dirt mix I put together for her to the fertilizer is as safe as I can get w/o making my own fertilizer and compost.

Anathollo

Staff member
Oh I will. Trying to talk the CFO into getting a golf cart. Her response is "why".. because as a response isn't working. :)
Do you have room for a golf cart with the Tacoma, off road trailer, tables and my shelf bed in your garage?

Taco Loco

The little one is not a little as I remember. What are you feeding her?

Ha nice! Get her driving early as well.

Do you have room for a golf cart with the Tacoma, off road trailer, tables and my shelf bed in your garage?

Please post this kind of stuff over in BS thread.

Taco Loco

Our local University is a darn good resource for our region. Everything from ground temps to species selection is covered by them.

Finally made a trip to my moms to drop off supplies yesterday. Got her all set up for growing organic non-GMO heirloom tomatoes. Usually she grows in Miracle Grow chemical dirt and gets GMO science experiment tomatoes from Walmart or similar big box store that uses chemicals to grow plants in a lab. This year she's set up for some healthy gardening. Got her two of a few different strains so she can figure out what works best in her light. All from a local nursery supply store with multiple HUGe greenhouses that is known for organics and grows everything themselves from seed. Again - skipped the middle man whent direct to where the farmers and pro's go. The middle men is what screws up prices and marketing. Jjust go back to the olden days and skip the big box crap IMHO. No HD or Lowes or Walmart supplying farmers 30 years ago so who needs them now?

Unlike retail sold food, planting materials like dirt can claim to be organic w/o actually being safe. Oil and lead are organic - doesn't mean you can consume them. If it doesn't have a OMRI testing cert - I didn't buy it. Figure if I'm going to set her up might as well be the best I can do for her health. Everything from the dirt mix I put together for her to the fertilizer is as safe as I can get w/o making my own fertilizer and compost.

yeah the colleges have a ton of information, I was in charge of the experimental turf grasses at the ranch and 3 of the greenhouses for 3 months, the research never ends with them, that was the most physical/mental demanding directed studies that I took.

In regards to organic fertilizers I use Jobes or Dr Earth, I do not have enough organic matter around my house to make my own compost, the sun bakes everything here quick. I have to get compost in bulk, so not much of a middle man, my compost is aged horse manure from the local race track, it’s mixed with supposedly clean top soil and then I mix in aged cedar mulch and it comes out somewhere around 1/5 mulch and rest compost.