transmission problems

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by taco4x4rar, Nov 17, 2010.

1. taco4x4rar

taco4x4rar Well-Known Member

I've got problems, went to drive the truck just now after finishing up all the bumper/sliders/body work and i've only got 1st gear and neutral, can't get anything else. Not throwing any CEL codes and the battery was discoed when I was welding on the truck. Shifter moves through the gates just fine and the proper lights light up on the dash for the selected gear but anything 1st-5th yields 1st gear and 1st gear only and anything neutral through park yields neutral only. Any ideas? I would check the fluid but don't know how as it is a sealed unit. I am clueless what the problem is seems to be an electrical thing as the transmission doesn't seem to be slipping as if the clutches were dying/low on fluid just the ECU isn't letting the other gears engage.

2. Silverback

Silverback I'm not always a dick. Just kidding, fuck off.

I used to have a Dakota RT, it ate transmissions. But to make it go I would replace the trans fluid and filter very often. It bought me many miles, including the miles I used to trade it in. LOL But I would recommend draining the trans fluid (not so easy on a taco) and if you can, replace the filter. It works wonders.

3. taco4x4rar

I'm pretty sure it's an electrical problem as it was fine before I discoed the battery and welded on the bumper and sliders no slip everything worked great, hook the batt back up and all of a sudden only first and neutral.

4. Silverback

So you disco'd the battery when you welded everything up?

Man I'm bafuzzled.. was there anything out back that you cut off that might be the issue?

5. taco4x4rar

Couldn't be, I've driven it since I chopped it. Need to go out and check around the sliders to see if anything got burned that shouldn't have.

6. Silverback

I don't know man, it sounds likes its electrical, and that can be a nightmare. Good luck hunting it down.

7. yotarob

yotarob Kiss My IFS

certainly sounds electrical.

8. drew02a

drew02a Moderator Staff Member

Wow that really blows. If it's not throwing a code, then I doubt you fried anything with current from the welder.

Maybe pull the battery wires to reset it again?

9. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that had problems with those fucking Dakotas, mine kept fucking up Transmissions too so I traded that turd in at 42k. You would think they would have beefed up the trans for the v8.

Oh and that sux Randy, I never disconnected the battery when I welded on my truck and didn't have any prob.

10. SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Frack me..

DO you need second gear Randy? It always seems to get you in trouble.. :D Seriously though, that really blows! I hope it is something simple!

11. Mauzer

Mauzer Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er

x2 on resetting the ecu, does it have ECT?

12. thekidcatcher

thekidcatcher Well-Known Member

other tranny quetion. when you are in drive and start to push the petal but it takes a second to start moving whats that about? Lunges when it does move, like its winding up

13. drew02a

Sounds like your torque converter is having trouble. That's what my wife's mustang with 100K on it does.

14. thekidcatcher

well im gettin close to 100k lol, what does one of those run? and its started happening after i got the transmission fluid changed

15. drew02a

Usually not cheap. Could be that they didn't put in the right amount of fluid or the wrong kind.

16. thekidcatcher

ill take it by them soon then

17. taco4x4rar

I trailered it over to the dealer today, so we'll see what they say

18. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

Weres the pics of there reactions to the bed chop?

19. taco4x4rar

Got a call from the dealer today, some good new and some bad news, good news is the ECU works, bad news is the ECU works, means the problem is either in the harness or the trans itself. They are currently looking into the harness before going into the trans.

20. taco4x4rar

Truth be told I'm not sure they noticed? At least no one made any strange faces or comments about it.