Trouble starting the tacoma

MCTacodriver

Diarrhea: A natural lubricant
I pulled my truck out of storage on Monday and have been driving it since. Today I pulled into the barracks parking lot, went upstairs for 20 min and when I went to leave the truck wouldn't start. I got a jump from someone and drove about 5 min to a garage so my friend could pick his up. I turned it off to see if it happened again and this time the starter wouldn't even turn over. Tried jumping it again but it didn't work. We took the battery to autozone and it tested fine so I called the dealership to start seeing about getting it fixed under the 36k warranty and went back to the truck. After putting the battery back in it started just fine and after 3 more starts, it has yet to give me a problem again.

Now normally I would not care and just see how it works itself out, but I'm driving to Tx in a week or two and would not like to spend my leave waiting for my truck to be fixed in Alabama. Anyone have any ideas what the problem may have been?

MCTacodriver

No, it was pretty weak when it had stopped working. The terminals were the first thing I checked, but they were pretty clean, the positive terminal was a little black but silver was showing through where the connector was hooked up at.

taco4x4rar

Sounds like you may need a new battery, regardless of how it tested out it may still be crapped out for sitting for so long.

REX_BMET

4x4 Street Queen
Sounds like you may need a new battery, regardless of how it tested out it may still be crapped out for sitting for so long.

Agreed.

I went and bought a new Optima Yellowtop a little while ago because I was having trouble starting and I was determined to not be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. Plus you can't beat the warranty on it!! :D:D

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
In my experience the factory battery is junk, they never last long and especially since yours has been sitting. Go to Sears and get a Die hard Platinum

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
In my experience the factory battery is junk, they never last long and especially since yours has been sitting. Go to Sears and get a Die hard Platinum

Hell my stock battery lasted four years (I replaced it the day I showed up to HF). Yeah sounds like you need a new battery.

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
My factory battery last about 2 years

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
My factory battery last about 2 years

Damn you must've gotten a bad one. The battery in my moms X5 that we got in 2003 lasted almost 7 years. We replaced it December of last year.

MCTacodriver

Thanks gents, I was figuring it wasn't the starter since when it did crank, it started right up. Just needed a jump the first time, and then to go for a ride in the back of a truck the second time. I would go pick up a Sears Die Hard, always had good luck with those things. Unfortunately, eastern NC is a shithole, and the closest Sears doesn't even sell half the shit you can buy in Tx.

MCTacodriver

When it does crank over, does it go strong?

If so, it's probably corroded terminals. A good polishing with a wire wheel or brush could fix it.

Mis-read that when I was on my phone earlier, it was strong when it did crank.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Agreed.

I went and bought a new Optima Yellowtop a little while ago because I was having trouble starting and I was determined to not be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. Plus you can't beat the warranty on it!! :D:D

Good luck with your Optima. You'll need the warranty.

MCTacodriver

This friggin thing.
I replaced the battery last week with a diehard gold. Was fine for a week and now every single time I start the truck up it wants to do a cold start, revs up to 1.5-2k and will just sit there. Then while I am driving, push the clutch in, and instead of doing the normal 50 rpm jump toyota programmed in for some reason, it jumps up about 500. Or while coasting in neutral it will be sitting at 1k then randomly jump up to 1.5k. Was going to get my new headunit in today but it looks like I am going to be swinging by the toyota dealership instead. Under the warranty still so I'll let those fuckers deal with it.

AlienXtx

Nignog
They will try and reflash your comp and cut you gas peddle down FYI, if this is the first time its been in since that recall bullshit.

MCTacodriver

They will try and reflash your comp and cut you gas peddle down FYI, if this is the first time its been in since that recall bullshit.

Yeah, I turned down that recall last year, I am considering having them do it for the reflash though. Some of the 6-spd owners over there have said it helped smooth out their shifts a little bit.

I'd wait to see if the problem corrects itself since your computer was probably reset when you left the battery unplugged for awhile

Only reason I am not big on that plan is because I will be driving cross country in a few days, and don't want to be stranded in Alabama at a gas station at 2 in the morning. Also, it was completely fine for a week after getting the new battery, and it just started doing this yesterday. Watching the scangauge, the voltage is dropping every time I start driving. By the time I drive a mile it is down by about .5, haven't had a chance yet to keep an eye on it for a longer drive yet though.

AlienXtx

Nignog
Yeah, I turned down that recall last year, I am considering having them do it for the reflash though. Some of the 6-spd owners over there have said it helped smooth out their shifts a little .
I had them reflash mine to help with the shifts (5-speed Auto) it work very well, but I took it in one time for something and the reflashed it again and cut down my peddle.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Similar note. Just ordered a 'rebuild kit' for my starter. When things gets hot (and sitting on top of one of the cats, it does often) the truck doesn't want to start. I only have 42k on the beast. New contacts and brushes should do the trick (fingers crossed).