Tx_Shooter's '87 4Runner Build

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Looks good man. (1) Your wife is spoiling you by doing all of that work on your truck. (2) You don't have to wait around on the bikini top, (3) it's ok to just go topless.

1- Your just jealous :p

2- Debating it. I'm trying to get together the money for some pipe to build a decent set of support bars for the top. I hate the way the bikini tops look when they just flop around on top.

3- As much as I like topless, I really like shade in the Texas summers! That said - I probably will run it topless for a while. Seeing the Powderpuff last weekend didn't help my itch any.

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
1- Your just jealous :p

2- Debating it. I'm trying to get together the money for some pipe to build a decent set of support bars for the top. I hate the way the bikini tops look when they just flop around on top.

3- As much as I like topless, I really like shade in the Texas summers! That said - I probably will run it topless for a while. Seeing the Powderpuff last weekend didn't help my itch any.

1) Maybe

2) 1" electrical conduit from Lowes, cheap and easy to bend. I can hook you up if you want for less than $10 - You will have to get you wife to paint it

3) the "creampuff" or "party wagon" occasionally "panty wagon" are all acceptable names for my junk, def. not powderpuff! Get it right

tx_shooter

Staff member
1) Maybe

2) 1" electrical conduit from Lowes, cheap and easy to bend. I can hook you up if you want for less than $10 - You will have to get you wife to paint it

3) the "creampuff" or "party wagon" occasionally "panty wagon" are all acceptable names for my junk, def. not powderpuff! Get it right

2- Thought about that for the support. Currently debating between that route or some boiler pipe Blake found on CL at $2/ft. It would be strong as hell and able to take a beating. As for the painter - I think she is only going to do the priming from now on. She is upset on her work on the roll bar.

3- Damn - sorry about that. I was trying to do some remote work and screw off on here at the same time. I'll get you some cold beer to make it up to you.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
2- Thought about that for the support. Currently debating between that route or some boiler pipe Blake found on CL at $2/ft. It would be strong as hell and able to take a beating. As for the painter - I think she is only going to do the priming from now on. She is upset on her work on the roll bar.

3- Damn - sorry about that. I was trying to do some remote work and screw off on here at the same time. I'll get you some cold beer to make it up to you.

Make sure its bud light. Rob doesn't except anything else lol

balakay

BabyMax

That boiler pipe will be hard as hell to bend. I'd stick with the conduit.

tx_shooter

Staff member
That boiler pipe will be hard as hell to bend. I'd stick with the conduit.

I was thinking of doing something different from just stretching out a j33p cover. Figured I'd use the boiler pipe to build a stronger frame for the material to wrap over. Plus I have a friend with a pipe bending setup I can use.

AlienXtx

Nignog
I thought boiler pipe was cast iron? Good luck bending it if it is.

taco4x4rar

I thought boiler pipe was cast iron? Good luck bending it if it is.

Is it? Blake said is was basically sch40 pipe just in some odd ball size. If its cast, you have not a hope in the world of bending it.

AlienXtx

Nignog
I'm sure there are fifteenth types, the stuff I'm use to is cast and will only shatter when you try and bend it.

balakay

BabyMax
Is it? Blake said is was basically sch40 pipe just in some odd ball size. If its cast, you have not a hope in the world of bending it.

All the ad said was that it was seemless boiler pipe. I've never heard of boiler pipe though so I don't know what it is.

tx_shooter

Staff member
I googled the specs for boiler pipe. The companies that sold "boiler pipe" with the same description all desciribed it as cold rolled and seamless. That doesn't sound like cast to me.

AlienXtx

Nignog
Nope, like I said there is prob def types. I'm use to the stuff that's used in the AC/heating Industry.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Nope, like I said there is prob def types. I'm use to the stuff that's used in the AC/heating Industry.

Guess I'll have to ask the guy. His CL ad says he planned on using it to build a fence. Considering cast takes special rods to weld I would be really suprised if he bought that much cast to build a fence. Either way - I'm going to find out before I head up there.

AlienXtx

Nignog
Yeah I would, we use old drilling pipe for fence all the time and its cast. We don't use any special rods for it though, but if it says cold rolled steel then you should be Goo. I know Rob and Sean both used the electric conduit for there tops with no prob and less weight.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Ok... I'll get my flame suit ready for this one.

After going over the numbers it does not look like a SAS is in my future for the next year. The wife put her foot down and said we have to get some of the big (read expensive) projects around the house done; and I have no grounds to argue her on. So; with that in mind - I'm currently looking at doing an IFS lift and the correct springs in back to get my 4Runner up where it needs to be for the tires.

Just looking to keep it trailable until I can do the axle swap like I want to the way I want to. Sometimes having a budget sucks... wait, having a budget always sucks!

So - any ideas?

Thoughts?

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Look no further than Robs build. He did his IFS on a budget and it wheels great. Since you plan to go SAS in the future don't spend too much, but you want to be able to use it.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Look no further than Robs build. He did his IFS on a budget and it wheels great. Since you plan to go SAS in the future don't spend too much, but you want to be able to use it.

I'll keep looking his build over; I just wanted to double check for any new ideas or "I should have done this instead..." ideas. I'm not to smart to learn from other people's experiences.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Blazeland LT is also an option. Its basically what Rod and Drew got the inspiration from to do their IFS builds.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Last edited: