What have you done to your ride lately?

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Are you under duress? Need saving?

*no mention of tire shine. Assumed you were distressed.
I assumed full detail implied tire shine. Actually the Adams tire shine is too much for my taste. It looks like I covered the tires in vaseline. I will be using their rubber and trim dressing going forward.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I assumed full detail implied tire shine. Actually the Adams tire shine is too much for my taste. It looks like I covered the tires in vaseline. I will be using their rubber and trim dressing going forward.

He is definitely under duress.. someone call 911 and have them check up on him. He's probably tied to a chair with a ball gag in his mouth!

Reactions: tex

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
He is definitely under duress.. someone call 911 and have them check up on him. He's probably tied to a chair with a ball gag in his mouth!

I saw him shortly after he posted that. He must be feeling these temps. He was talking about trading a case of Fiesty Blonde for a case of Pearl Snap.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
I saw him shortly after he posted that. He must be feeling these temps. He was talking about trading a case of Fiesty Blonde for a case of Pearl Snap.
You are correct. I can get Fiesty whenever I want but not Pearl Snap. Even if Sean is getting the better trade I am thankful he picked up the awnings for us.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Looking at doing the DRL disable on my 4Runner and noticed that I need to replace the belts. So it looks like I have a decent bit of maintenance coming up - belts, plugs, motor oil, s/c oil, and all the gear oils.

*looked at my Amazon orders for the last time I ordered tune up parts. It looks like it was Sept 2017 so I coming up on my yearly maintenance.

Last edited:

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
You are correct. I can get Fiesty whenever I want but not Pearl Snap. Even if Sean is getting the better trade I am thankful he picked up the awnings for us.

And I appreciate the Fiesty Blondes... thank you Sir!!

tx_shooter

Staff member
Dropped in some serious horsepower yesterday with an aFe air filter. I got tired of going through disposable filters with the miles I drive so I figured this would be a better way overall. I have not added the aFe sticker on yet; want to make sure the drivetrain handles the power boost one step at a time.

aFe filter for 2001 4Runner.jpg

CowboyTaco

Picked up 5 FJ/4R trail wheels yesterday for $100.

Per my internet research, the backspacing is +15 instead of +30mm like I have on my Sport wheels, which translates to about .6". I like the idea of getting rid of the spacers that I put on to correct some rubbing. I thought these looked good on the 2010-2013 4R TE, but not sure how they would look on my Pyrite Mica Tacoma. I'm either going to put them on and sell the Sport wheels and spacers, or try to flip them for a profit.

Going rate for the more common FJ wheel is between $2-400. Not sure what these would be... Going rate for the Sport wheels seems to be about $200. I figure I ought to be able to get $100 for the spacers, they are hub-centric though I don't remember the brand.

IMG_20180808_165149.jpg

tx_shooter

Staff member
So I was going over the 4Runner at the start of the month and noticed the supercharger belt was looking a little rough. (it was not cracked at that time) Today I replaced all the belts, s/c oil, and did an oil change. I think I am going to start doing a fluid change on the supercharger every year vs the 100k the service manual calls for. The oil is cheaper than a rebuild. Thankfully it is scheduled to get the timing belt replaced in a few weeks. After that the 4R will be ready to hit the trails again.

20180811_170905.jpg

toyota supercharger oil change.jpg

tx_shooter

Staff member
How hard is it to change the oil, do you have to remove the SC to do it? Old oil wasn't looking too hot.

The oil is changed by removing the plug screw and working a tube in to the deepest part and the using the syringe to pull it out. Easily said; bit of a bitch to get done. They did not leave much room in there.