Wheel Spacers

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by tx_shooter, Jul 26, 2011.

1. tx_shooter

tx_shooter You ever try to roughie a bear? Staff Member

I've done some searching and reading; but is there anything bad/evil about running spacers? There will be the extra tire sticking out, but is there anything else people just aren't talking about?

2. TacoXpo

TacoXpo Freedom

More mechanical advantage on the hub - Almost like having larger tires - in theory! :D Use good locktite too! I may be running 3" ones in a while!!! lol

3. tx_shooter

Mechanical advantage on the hub??? sounds like "more leverage making it easier to break crap"

4. TacoXpo

TacoXpo Freedom

Mechanical advantage in favor of the terrain, not the components = "easier to break crap"

5. tx_shooter

Breaking crap seems to be the name of the game. That was about the only downside I found that was a safety issue. It does seem like a lot of people run them.

6. Silverback

Silverback I'm not always a dick. Just kidding, fuck off.

I ran a set of 1.25" Spidertrax on the Taco and beat on them regularly, no issues. I also ran a set on Clyde (no issues) and I am running a set just on the front of the Raisin.. again.. no issues. They where all less than 1.5" in width and where properly installed using Loctite and a torque wrench.

7. Mauzer

Mauzer Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er

^Same, I've been running 1.25 spidertrax for over a year w/o any problems

8. tx_shooter

Cool. Then it looks like I will be running 33x12.5x15s on the 4Runner.

9. taco4x4rar

taco4x4rar Well-Known Member

I run spider trax and have had no issues with them. Running a spacer is no different than running a wheel with less back spacing

10. TacoXpo

TacoXpo Freedom

Exactly - as long as they are installed using locktite and properly torqued! :D Now for my 1/2" backspacing to clear my frame!!! lol

11. Silverback

Front or rear?

12. TacoXpo

TacoXpo Freedom

Rear. I want to wheel it a bit. Then I may cut the frame off after the TG cross member and build a tubie! We'll see how much articulation I really want. I'm not sure I need all that it could yield. I have a feeling I will have a number of limit straps and bump stop settings before I have it dialed in.

13. Silverback

I figured with the RA housing you would have plenty of space.

14. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

same here, spend the $ and get the best.

15. TacoXpo

TacoXpo Freedom

I'm going to shake it down with the 35s - I think I will be hitting the frame when fully stuffed on one side and full droop on the other. We'll see. Then there will be the 37s! :eek: lol

16. drew02a

drew02a Moderator Staff Member

Only thing that sees more wear with wheel spacers is the bearings. And we've all had issues with those, have we not?

17. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

nope...lol

18. Silverback

says the guy with 4k miles on his rig. :)

19. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

X2. Im running them. Discount tire hates spacers(depends on the store). That's the only issue I've run into lol
    But properly loctite and torque them and you shouldn't have any problems. That goes for the spacer nuts AND the lugnuts for the rim(don't loctite the lugnuts lol )

20. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

15K now..lol