Winch Solenoid Relocation

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by tx_shooter, May 2, 2018.

1. tx_shooter

tx_shooter Looking for my missing 10mm socket. Staff Member

Lets see some pics of your relocated winch solenoid - would you do it that way again? what changes would you make? I am trying to save some cash by doing it right the first time.

2. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to a Laundry Fairy

Really not that much cost wise, all your doing is extended the cables between the solenoid and winch, then use light application of silicone on the solenoid housing/cables

3. Silverback

Silverback Known to eat paint chips

First time with a Warn M8000, used some simple heavy gauge angle brackets bolted together and then bolted to the top of the wheel well. Sat like that for 9 years.
    FA96F197-C79B-4CBC-B017-A00261B714CC.JPG

Got a new 12.5 Superwinch so I decided to built a bracket that used nutserts to bolt to the inner fender. Its a two piece design that the shelf that holds the solenoid is bolted to the face plate that attaches to the fender. Did it this way to allow me to install it and if I ever decide to change winches again all I have to do is rebuild the bottom shelf and not drill any more holes in my truck. Hopefully. No pics of bottom shelf but its got a rib along the bottom to give it some stiffness and the center has a cutout where the power wires feed out from. Its also tapped to accept the long bolts going through the solenoid cover and base.

IMG_9675.JPG

IMG_9676.JPG

tx_shooter likes this.
  4. tex

tex Keeper of the 10mm sockets

I used scraps to build a bracket for mine in the Tacoma. Bolted it between the radiator hose and passenger headlight. Worked like a charm.
    Thankfully I didnt have to mess with that on the 4runner. Just make sure you use large enough cable between winch and solenoid.

5. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Whatever you end up going with please make sure you have a power on/off master switch that's in between the power source and the solenoids in case they get "stuck" while on. Winches stuck on scare the crap out of me. I picked up the warn kill switch many moons ago. Looks nice and of good quality, but can't comment on it's use as Ive never installed it lol

As close to the firewall as possible seems to be the spot my truck picked up the least mud.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. tex

Its funny you say that. My Warn install directions said to hook it up direct to the battery. I still put in a marine cut off switch.

7. Silverback

Its because a winch will pull 400 amps and melt most any switch.

Oswego likes this.
  8. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Those directions are for the people who think they can run something drawing 100+ amps through a Spod or something similar I can only assume.

9. tex

My switch can handle 1200 amps for 10 seconds. 400 or 600 constant or something like that.

10. Silverback

What one is it?

11. tex

12. Silverback

13. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

14. Silverback

300 amps is not enough.. when that winch is under a heavy load (which is probably why you bought a winch... so it would save your ass when you need it most) it will pull over 400 amps, you will melt the switch.

15. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

Well shit. I was reading around other forums and guys were running the mini's. Figured it's compact size will allow it to be mounted inside my bumper.

16. tx_shooter

tx_shooter Looking for my missing 10mm socket. Staff Member

Current plan is to run winch, relocate solenoid, and have a cut off switch between solenoid and battery. Later on I might add the wireless controller.

17. Silverback

It will work... for a period of time. But if you are really stuck, or someone is and you really need to load up the winch. It will pull too many amps and that thing has a very good possibility of melting. Shit I melted 200 amp CB's and fuseblocks with my Oasis air compressor. (its basically a winch motor with a York AC head) But they said it would not pull more than 180 amps at full tilt boogie.. well it did. I just think a thing capable of 400 amps and you think that a 300 amp switch will work is just asking for a failure. You would really have to baby winching things back in under a load. 5 second bursts? Yeah that would suck major balls.

Anathollo likes this.
  18. Silverback

In-cab winch controller FTW, fuck wireless...one more battery to die in the middle of no-where. Plus when I am winching I want to be in the vehicle with my foot on the brake if I am recovering someone, or behind the wheel if I'm recovering myself.

19. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to a Laundry Fairy

Electrical/battery problems, the second most common cause of all car fires, the first is fuel leaks.

At least once a month the Army has combat vehicles/trucks burn up up from battery, cables & solenoid shorts, and most of the time the vehicle is just sitting there parked in storage lots. 5mil strykers are not cheap...

A standard car battery short is equivalent to 5,000 instant volts, larger batteries for diesel trucks is upwards of 7,000 volts when a short occurs.

20. Silverback