CowboyTaco's '14 TEP Info

CowboyTaco

Not so much of a "build thread" as it is more of a things that make my wife say "What did you do?" as this is currently her daily driver.

So first, the basics...
This is a 2014 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition Premium in Magnetic Grey Metallic.

First mod, with less than 100 miles on the Odometer was to get rid of the Bridgestone Highway tires. They were replaced with Nitto Terra Grappler (Gen 1), or whatever the Nitto A/T tire is called. Seeing these all over the place, and having a decent respect for Nitto in the "street tire" category, I figured they would be a good option. That, and they were the only reasonably priced AT tire available at Discount Tire that day. I don't remember the other option, but I remember it was 10lbs. heavier per tire.

2018-06-21_11-23-01.png

The picture above was taken in Real County, TX and shows the tires when they were still fairly new. Below is a random "stylized" photo compliments of Google. This is looking up the road from the other direction.

upload_2018-6-21_11-22-22.png

The picture below was taken in the Ouachita National Forest and shows the tires, along with the next mod...a Cabela's roof basket.

upload_2018-6-21_11-17-2.png

My wife is not big on "mods," so this is how it sit for quite a while.

I got in on a group buy over at t4r.org and purchased some Shrockworks sliders with the dimpled filler plate. Sliders were installed in August 2015:

upload_2018-6-21_11-31-2.png

I found that the bottle jack with a spark plug socket helped with maneuvering the gas tank.

upload_2018-6-21_11-33-18.png

Then a camping trip to Caprock Canyon up near Palo Duro.

2018-06-21_11-31-42.png

2018-06-21_12-43-15.png

Rago Hidden Light Bar mount and Opt7 32" Light bar install.

upload_2018-6-21_12-51-27.png

@tex comparing his new Toytec Boss suspension next to factory height after the lightbar install.

2018-06-21_12-52-09.png

New shoes!

upload_2018-6-21_12-56-13.png

CowboyTaco

Somewhere along the way, I decided to try the whole Plasti-dip thing. I like the look, but not a huge fan of "the dip" as they call it on the streets.

upload_2018-6-22_6-49-53.png

upload_2018-6-22_6-50-6.png

Drawer system installed. Drawer on the left fits a baby changing pad perfectly for those times when you just need a flat surface to change a diaper. This has been one of my favorite additions.

upload_2018-6-21_13-1-29.png

The drawers are 32" deep, but the slides are only 28". The cost between the 28" and 32" slide was insane. I just couldn't justify spending the extra. The slides are soft close, and require a firm tug to get them open. No lock or latch and I've never had them slide open unless it was intentional.

Next up is the C4 Fab dual battery tray.
upload_2018-6-21_13-5-48.png

I replaced the OEM battery with a Duracell 24F AGM. The OEM battery was not dead....nor did it give any sign that it was even close to end of life, but I figured 4.5 years was long enough. Having a newborn, I was not willing to risk my wife being stranded in the Texas heat with 2 kids. The OEM battery has been installed in the dual batt. tray. It is, however, not hooked up at the moment. Pics of that when it actually happens.

Finally, the ARB 35L Fridge/Freezer.

upload_2018-6-22_6-46-52.png

Last edited:

CowboyTaco

I'm currently trying to figure out storage in the back. The baby changing station is great, and the second drawer was intended to be more open and used as available space. However, it has been filled with stuff. The ARB fridge and stroller take up almost the entire cargo area.

For weekly use, I need to figure out how to keep the fridge and stroller but also fit around 5 or 6 grocery bags.

For road trips, I need to be able to keep the fridge, stroller, pack-n-play, 2 medium sized duffel bags, and some other odds and ends. I'll update this post with a picture when I get a chance.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Any more pics of the drawer system? That is coming up quick on my list if things to make.

Mauzer

Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er
I'm currently trying to figure out storage in the back. The baby changing station is great, and the second drawer was intended to be more open and used as available space. However, it has been filled with stuff. The ARB fridge and stroller take up almost the entire cargo area.

For weekly use, I need to figure out how to keep the fridge and stroller but also fit around 5 or 6 grocery bags.

For road trips, I need to be able to keep the fridge, stroller, pack-n-play, 2 medium sized duffel bags, and some other odds and ends. I'll update this post with a picture when I get a chance.
I know in my most recent iteration of packing I stow the pack-n-play in the roof basket...and to hell with a stroller.

Get one of these foldable wagons: Folding Sports Wagon & Removable Bed
They have drink holders in the front, are easy to clean, and you can cart around gear AND children's in them. They also fold up pretty well and can be stowed on the roof as well.

X2 on the storage with diaper changing station pics!

CowboyTaco

I know in my most recent iteration of packing I stow the pack-n-play in the roof basket...and to hell with a stroller.

Get one of these foldable wagons: Folding Sports Wagon & Removable Bed
They have drink holders in the front, are easy to clean, and you can cart around gear AND children's in them. They also fold up pretty well and can be stowed on the roof as well.

I like the idea of the folding wagon. I'm personally not a fan of the stroller....it's one of those jogging ones, so it takes up a lot of space. The carseat also snaps into it. My wife said she'd rather lose the fridge than the stroller, so I need to get creative. We also have a double stroller that doesn't fit, so I'm going to have a hard time justifying the "we need to buy another thing to transport kids" argument. I know that will end with "take the fridge out and we'll have room for the double stroller."

Mauzer

Ah didn't realize you had an infant, could you get away with a child carrier?

I have a Kelty Transit w/ sunshade: https://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Transi...&qid=1529611852&sr=8-2&keywords=kelty+transit

They're still bulky but not as bad as a jogging stroller and you can use it as a "diaper bag." My daughter loved it when she was little and I loved that it was "hands free"

I know its another thing to transport the kids in but I think they're essential when camping with a baby for hiking, etc

CowboyTaco

Any more pics of the drawer system? That is coming up quick on my list if things to make.

The drawer system was a very slow moving project. I built the frame in May 2017 out of 3/4" plywood that was remaining from another project. I didn't have a workshop at the time, so this was done in my front yard. Classy, I know.

upload_2018-6-22_6-23-25.png

Finally got around to making the drawers in January 2018. I used a router to both make the handle holes and round the edges. If I were to do it over, I would make those a little bigger.

upload_2018-6-22_6-29-16.png

I finally finished it in March. The drawers were caulked to give a smooth transition from side to bottom and to catch and hold any liquids that might spill. I coated it with one coat of Kilz primer and two coats of black Rustoleum.

upload_2018-6-22_6-31-41.png

Here is how it is configured today:

upload_2018-6-22_6-34-53.png

ARB Fridge and Jogging stroller on top. Baby changing station on the left and miscellaneous junk on the right. Misc junk includes diapers, wipes, diaper bag, hat (bald guy problems), sweatshirt (frigid restaurant problems), tow hitch, recovery shackle, and air compressor.

This reminds me, I need to pick up another tire patch kit.

I "miscalculated" the width of the drawer when I was making them and they were too wide the first time around. The first one, which ended up being installed on the right got trimmed down a little too much. The drawer on the right is narrower because of my momentary stupidity.

The whole setup can be changed drastically for hunting or camping trips. The Coleman 2 burner camping stove fits nearly perfectly, along with some other odds and ends that usually get brought along.

upload_2018-6-22_6-42-3.png

I believe the anchors that hold the drawers down are 8" and were found at Tractor Supply. The fridge is tied down in the back and doesn't move with the stroller in there. I'm debating on whether I want to put it on a slide. It is pretty easily accessible, so I don't really see the need. Once I get the wiring for the fridge cleaned up and to my liking, I'll anchor it more permanently.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
That is awesome. Pretty much what I am wanting to do to a T. I really want to have drawers I can swap out so I can have loaded work, off roading, and camping setups as easy as pulling a drawer out and putting a new one in.

I will have to give it a good once over sometime to check it out.

CowboyTaco

That is awesome. Pretty much what I am wanting to do to a T. I really want to have drawers I can swap out so I can have loaded work, off roading, and camping setups as easy as pulling a drawer out and putting a new one in.

I will have to give it a good once over sometime to check it out.

The only thing that I'm really kicking myself over is not routing channels in the drawer on the right. I meant to run the wood over the router to create channels so that I could easily install dividers so that stuff won't slide around. Unfortunately, I forgot that step in the excitement of finishing a project that had stalled for so long. Full, that isn't a problem; but it can be annoying when there is only one thing in there. I have some drawer liner from Walmart that I may try to put down in there to see if that helps; but like I said, it isn't really a problem unless it's empty.

Mauzer

This may be the first and only time this is said on an offroad forum but...I'm super jealous of that diaper changing setuplol

I hate trying to change diapers in the backseat and my cargo area normally houses my spare tire, luggage, or whatever so its a pain in the ass when we're at the beach or the tent isn't set up yet yadda yadda yadda

That is a pretty sweet solution!

CowboyTaco

Haven't looked yet. Definitely not enough room for the dual battery under the hood. The fridge will fit in the back, so there is a positive. Haven't looked at lifts. I've already decided that no modifications of any kind will come out of my wallet for this thing. It will serve the purpose of hauling family.

I will admit that it does have some features that I really like, but you know the saying about lipstick on a pig....

achirdo

2WD FTW
Haven't looked yet. Definitely not enough room for the dual battery under the hood. The fridge will fit in the back, so there is a positive. Haven't looked at lifts. I've already decided that no modifications of any kind will come out of my wallet for this thing. It will serve the purpose of hauling family.

I will admit that it does have some features that I really like, but you know the saying about lipstick on a pig....
Hey whatever you need to do to justify buying a minivan...