bakerla's no name Tacoma

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Yea, currently have the ST Max in 255/85/16. They are sized small, not even 33" and a bit wider (32.8" x 10.2"). Getting the Discoverer ST put on this weekend. Had them in 255/85/16 before the Max and liked them. They are a true tall and skinny (33.2" x 10").

Getting ST Maxx put back on today. The new ST tires I just had put on had horrible road noise out of the box. I couldn't stand it and it's only get worse with more miles. Really sucks, I ate some of the cost but DT worked with me a bit. Hoping these give me no problems. The ST Maxx is a great tire, just not a true 33" and only E rated.

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Fawk me. New tires same problem. Sounds like a rumble. Wheel bearings feel fine. Its rumbles driving straight and turning left, any slight turn to the right the rumble goes away. I wonder if it's a front diff problem....

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Fawk me. New tires same problem. Sounds like a rumble. Wheel bearings feel fine. Its rumbles driving straight and turning left, any slight turn to the right the rumble goes away. I wonder if it's a front diff problem....

Dang, drain and see if you have any metallic shavings?

How many miles on your WB's

balakay

BabyMax
Doesn't the needle bearing problem in the front diff cause a rumble?

Taco Loco

IMG_3060.jpg
IMG_3059.jpg
IMG_3058.jpg

the seal on the back side of the spindle wears out, it has a spring that seals around the cv shaft, less than $7 bucks iirc, 4in pvc pipe pictured above works great to hammer in greased up seal. The old seals at 105k were shot.

You can replace the seal without removing the spindle, mine in the picture is off, because I replaced the lower control arms as well.

Taco Loco

Get you a friend that lives closer by to help out, don't break your wheel sensor wires and add some penetrating oil to those 4 hub bolts tonight, they can be in there pretty tight.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
I paid a mechanic $200 to install new CV seals and the ECGS solid bearing.

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Get you a friend that lives closer by to help out, don't break your wheel sensor wires and add some penetrating oil to those 4 hub bolts tonight, they can be in there pretty tight.

Not too worried about the hub bolts, I had the passenger side apart easy last year. It's the heat and time that concerns me.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Not too worried about the hub bolts, I had the passenger side apart easy last year. It's the heat and time that concerns me.
Come on down. I can have those swapped out for in a few hours. I've done so many WB swaps