Wheeling around Davis Mountains area?

Anyone know of any good wheeling/exploring around the Davis Mountains area? I know about BBRSP and plan to head that way for a day also, but most of my time I will be around Alpine and Fort Davis.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
I think the Davis Mountain area is going to be more hiking than off road trails. A little farther west near Almagorda, NM has a fair amount of off road trails.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I'd be willing to bet most of the land around the Davis Mountains is privately owned. There is a big loop around the Davis Mountains, and if you want some dirt trails and a hint of risk (mainly because nobody drives the road so if you break down you may be walking) take Pinto Canyon Road out of Marfa and it hits 170 along the border. Its a cool road, very scenic. But you won't see too many people. Last time I went down it we came across a guy in a Jeep. He had stopped to take photos and when he got back in the thing would not start. He had been sitting there several hours and we were the first vehicle to drive by.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
I have done the entire river road in BBNP, ~50 miles, remain in 4WD across the dry creek crossings, the surface can be very loose, I have pulled out a couple 2wd vehicles in those areas.

The River Road OHV Trail

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
River Road is my main reason for wanting to get to BBNP. There are a couple other OHV trails but that road is supposed to be a good mix of remote and scenic. If I was looking for hard-core I would be headed to the Northwest corner at BBRSP.

Which is a trip that does need to happen...