Central-ish Texas Trail - Free

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
That is nice country down there. My sammich maker has been wanting to take a long weekend down there and this might make a good excuse to do a little driving before the winery tours.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
@Taco Loco and I did that route (or something very similar) many years ago. Started near Brady on a camp spot in the middle of the river on a sandbar. Then headed south towards the James River road near Mason. I used to have the route saved, I'll see if I can locate it. @Taco Loco probably recalls the trip better than I do.

CowboyTaco

@Taco Loco and I did that route (or something very similar) many years ago. Started near Brady on a camp spot in the middle of the river on a sandbar. Then headed south towards the James River road near Mason. I used to have the route saved, I'll see if I can locate it. @Taco Loco probably recalls the trip better than I do.

You two were the ones I figured most likely to check it out.

I got kind of excited when I stumbled upon that article just since almost everything in Texas is private land. It's kind of hard to find any areas of "nature" that don't include concrete structures. That's a really long day trip for me though....

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Would be a nice weekend trip though. Go down Saturday morning and drive the route, camp someplace down there, and drive back up Sunday.

Silverback

Pretty sure this is the exact spot we camped on the second night.

Google Maps

Silverback

Totally agree.. nice drive, not difficult at all.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
I've driven parts of this but never considered it "overlanding" just taking the scenic route
That's what this trail looked like to me as well.

Oswego

n00b
Pretty sure this is the exact spot we camped on the second night.

Google Maps

Darn that's some clear water you folks got down there. I'd love to camp and kayak where I could see more than 2" deep into the water. All our rivers are full of wood tannins and are poo color....even the clean ones lol

That's what this trail looked like to me as well.

I remember when I thought my rides down fire roads were "wheeling"...that takes me back.