Start Battery Options

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by tx_shooter, Nov 1, 2019.

1. tx_shooter

tx_shooter You ever try to roughie a bear? Staff Member

So my start battery has been turning the motor over really slow this week in the first week of 30 degree temps in the morning. I looked it up; the battery is a little over 2.5 years old now. My old job had me starting up the motor a dozen times a day and not fully recharged every time so the start battery was abused pretty good.

Now that I am not abusing my rig like that all the time I would not mind putting a better battery in it. Question is which battery? Optima Red Tops have a bad reputation since they went to Mexico. Anyone have bad experiences with the Yellow Top? Or is there another good option?

Since I have a house battery for accessories I do not have to go with a huge start battery. Stock or compatible to stock is fine.

2. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’

Last battery I got was at Advanced Auto for the F150screw, $146 AGM battery with 3 YR FREE REPLACEMENT) for the specs and price, there was no comparison battery out there that could beat these numbers below.
    • Amp Hour: 80.0 AH
      Cold Cranking Amperage: 850 A
      Cranking Amperage: 1000 A
      Height: 7.5 in
      Length: 12.437 in
      Negative Terminal Location: Top Left
      Positive Terminal Location: Top Right
      Reserve Capacity: 140 min
      Terminal Type: Top Mount
      Voltage: 12.0 VDC
      Weight: 51.8 lb
      Width: 6.937 in

DB78B5E5-FBF5-4F89-84C2-5E9B11B90D3E.png

Anathollo likes this.
  3. Taco Loco

2D79E7F9-EF83-4869-8146-13242CCAD4B2.png

4. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

I would have to agree with @Taco Loco. Just get a battery that can replaced or swapped out at a popular auto parts store.

I'm running Odyssey's but fuck them when you have to buy a $100 Odyssey specific battery charger and recondition them every 6 months. Optima's suck ass too.

I think guys on here were saying the Everstart batteries were pretty good for the money?

5. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Ive always had good luck with Duralast, but I do not tax my systems with any aux power sucking devises. Just put a new on in the Tacoma 2 months ago, and she can crank for a long time before she loses power lol

Reminds me I need to plug my tender into her again.

tx_shooter likes this.
  6. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

You should just train those squirrels

7. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Ive got so many if I got a big enough hamster wheel they could power my house

8. tx_shooter

tx_shooter You ever try to roughie a bear? Staff Member

The "available at any big auto store" route is how I am leaning. The more digging I do the more I think/read the era of +5 years from a battery are gone. A good battery with decent life is better than a great battery with crap life. Not even going into the $$ of it.

Anathollo likes this.
  9. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Duralast gold is 3 years - their normal are 2 year warranties. Use to be 5 years for their gold line I think.?.

10. Anathollo

Even the duralast gold's suck now. I had those in my step dad's diesel which we didn't start for a few months and both batteries had cells die in them. I had to fight autozone's manager to get them replaced under warranty too.

11. Anathollo

Yep, you nailed it on the head there.

12. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Greeeeaaaat...... I just put one in the Tacoma 2-3 months ago.

13. Taco Loco

I never had an issue with their batteries, and I think the last one lasted almost 6 years, I’m currently running one in my Taco replaced in 2017.

My future replacement of any Auto/RV etc. will be one the platinum AGM from Autocraft with 25% off.

14. Anathollo

Now that I think about it, my nephew had to replace his Duralast Gold around the same time I replaced the ones in the diesel. I don't know how old that battery was though. Hopefully you'll have a better experience with them than I did.