Big Bend 2015

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member

SecretSquirrel

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Staff member
I'm going to be out for this one. Saving up for a new, more comfortable kayak so I can paddle/fish the Devils River in the spring

tx_shooter

Staff member
No worries; it would have been great to have company. Hopefully I will be able to start making 2-4 of these trips a year. I know Megan is already talking about a couple parks in East Tx for late winter/ spring time.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Really wishing there was a 4x4 trail to Lajitias from the ranger station. We will see if they know of one when I get there.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Really wishing there was a 4x4 trail to Lajitias from the ranger station. We will see if they know of one when I get there.

Don't think there is, and it's actually quicker to the state park entering from the west from hwy 67

tx_shooter

Staff member
I was hoping to exit towards Lajitias; but it looks like we will have to go back out towards Presidio and driving along the river like normal.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
No trails to Lajitas.. but tell Clay Henry we said Hi. And drink a Lone Star for me... and one for him. He's dead now. But he would like it.

tx_shooter

Staff member
I did get a chance to get my reservation moved today. Now we are staying at Mexicano 2. Overall this will let us have a nice camp and be in a good spot to explore the southern half of the park.

Silverback

Watch Badlands Texas on NatGeo. It's about Terlingua and a murder there about 2 years ago. But Terlingua is a cool place to grab a beer or 6. It is about an hour or so from the ranch though. Worth the trip IMO

tx_shooter

Staff member
Yeah; we have friends that go down there a lot - actually buying a place down there so they can retire down there. We are still figuring out if we can stop there for a night on the way back but it will depend on how everything comes together. I checked a few motels down there online and nothing showed to have vacancy either - apparently the Big Bend area is really popular in the winter. I had to ask for 6 different spots before I found a "remote" spot that was open at the ranch.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Looks like we there is a slight chance of snow on Sunday. Now I am trying to think of any last minute items that will be needed.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Looks like we there is a slight chance of snow on Sunday. Now I am trying to think of any last minute items that will be needed.

lol like that'll happen this year :(

SecretSquirrel

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Staff member

Slight chance of blizzard conditions...

Silverback

We just missed a snow storm when we went there. Saw some snow along the way and the first night it dipped into the high 20's. But after that it wasn't too bad. Maybe 40's at night.

Silverback

If you can swing it, watch Badlands Texas on NatGeo before you go. 5 part series about a murder in Terlingua. Pretty good show. We saw the dude who looks like Kenny Rogers perform at the Starlight lounge when the wife and I went there 2 years ago.

tx_shooter

Staff member
They keep going back and forth on snow or rain on Sunday morning; the rest of the week is looking great. We have caught most of Badlands, Texas on TV. It is kind of funny how they go through so much work to make it look so far away from anything/anyone. As for the ending - I was pretty surprised.

Edit - looks like Sunday is going to be the cold day... 38/22.

Last edited:

Silverback

Oh it's way the fuck out there. But not 1000 miles like they make you think. But I bet Amazon Prime might have a problem. LOL

Silverback

And the woman from Austin who is opening up the retro travel trailer B&B is 27 shades of hot and crazy. Smoking hot but broken as shit.

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
Pics ?