Primate Labs Test Subject - 2007 Tacoma - codename: Silverback

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
LOL.. yes all the above are very good places to put one. I'm thinking somewhere near the red dot.

Link for the lights Amazon.com: Paision One Pair 12v Truck Trailer Rv Aircraft LED License Plate Tag Light or Convenience Courtesy Door Step Lamp: Automotive

e16be8fc-bbf5-41e3-8ef6-c4fa8dde93f7.jpg
I may have only mounted one light so it's not brightly lit up...:shifty:

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I was running these Morel Dotech Ovation 5 5-1/4" 2-Way Component Car Speakers System But the mids are blown now. I think the tweets and crossover are in good shape so I just ordered a pair of Morel 5" mids to replace them. These new mids have a much higher power rating. It's possible the rear 6.5" Morels are also blown but I'm not sure.. hard to tell at this point. Damn Alpine PDX is a great amp but with about 170 watts x 4 on the birth sheet its hard to find 5.25 components that last more than about 18 months. This has to be the 5th set of speakers up front. Lets see.. old school (before they became shit) MB Quart 3 ways (6.5, 5.25 and tweet), Pioneer Premier Components, (2 sets.. they sounded great), Alpine SPX Pro, Set of Morels.. now I'm on the second set of Morels. hopefully upgrading he mids to their Elite series with higher power rating will solve this. I've never blown a tweeter, its always the mids. New ones are a 6 ohm but they have 150 RMS rating and 1000 watt peak. So should be enough. If the rear 6.5" are blown as well (powered by same amp) I'll upgrade those to the 6.5 version of the same speakers.

If I was smart I should have just replaced that 4.150 PDX amp with a 4.100 and been fine. :) Oh well Needs more power!!

Edit.. its a 3 way setup up front. 8"s in the door.. 5.25 and tweets in the kicks. So the mids don't see anything below 300 hrz IIRC. I'd have to look at my DQX and see what it is set at.

Last edited:

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Add your trailer info to that trailer thread where ever the hell thats at

Silverback

I'll do a build thread on it in a couple months when I have more content.

texasislandboy

donde esta la NGAGE IT
Dam Sean... We need to get you a Wetsounds Sinster 6..... Has some of the best tuning I have used. Plus its waterproof.. And its a smart amp.. Will shut down before it kills it self.

Silverback

Man I already have 1500 clean watts in the cab and in all honesty it's too much for my mids. Plus if I need a waterproof amp inside the taco I'm doing something wrong lol. That being said the stereo in the trail rig was 100% waterproof. Everything was marine rated. I still have a headunit, amp and pair of speakers. They might find their way into the trailer. :).

Oswego

n00b
Man I already have 1500 clean watts in the cab and in all honesty it's too much for my mids. Plus if I need a waterproof amp inside the taco I'm doing something wrong lol. That being said the stereo in the trail rig was 100% waterproof. Everything was marine rated. I still have a headunit, amp and pair of speakers. They might find their way into the trailer. :).

or just not having enough fun :devil-flip:

texasislandboy

donde esta la NGAGE IT
haha Well mounting it under the hood would make for more room in the cab! I'm thinking about pulling all the audio out of the lexus. It has some mark leviston junk in it thinking about mounting a new head unit as a standalone unit with a amp and wire all the speakers to the amp .

balakay

BabyMax
haha Well mounting it under the hood would make for more room in the cab! I'm thinking about pulling all the audio out of the lexus. It has some mark leviston junk in it thinking about mounting a new head unit as a standalone unit with a amp and wire all the speakers to the amp .

If you have navigation, you can't do shit to your radio.

Silverback

Replaced the front 5.25" Morels with other 5.25" Morels. Sound is much mo betta... old ones were definitly blown.

Old vs new
IMG_8444.JPG
IMG_8445.JPG

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Crazy how much the design has changed already on them.

Silverback

Morels very in price from $300 - $4000. The first set were in the $6-700 range. New ones are sold individually and designed so that you build your system that way. Just a much better speaker. They sound great... makes me want to replace the 8's I have in the doors now. :)