Red's 01 4Runner

Large

So I got drunk and didn't report back the next day obviously. But I ended up buying a piece of land and plan to build a pretty decent shop on it, first thing is getting 2 - 40' connexes on it. Part 1:

m9KFg80.jpg

Stake the area, I think I decided on a 28'x40' slab, I don't think I will go bigger because honestly I don't need that much concrete to work on.

Connex #1:

WZvBkwt.jpg

Set in place:

w46ZLl3.jpg

poser shot:

FFFP0gM.jpg

Ultimately when #2 arrives (money is tight due to the rona) I will have a slab beforehand and then build the roof, just a slight slope to the side. Long term, I am trying to get a permit from the city to put me a power pole and I have a 200 amp main panel I am going to install. Welding machine and a small 4' x 4' cnc table, lights and all that jazz. Runner runs great, I may swap the ps pump tomorrow with the one I bought last year.. this one is toast.

balakay

BabyMax
How thick of a slab are you pouring?

balakay

BabyMax
plan for 4" .. might do 5" on 10' of the slab in case I want a lift eventually
I'd do at least 6" where you want a lift. Think that's what most of them call for. 8" if you want a bigger lift for your F250 and the like. That's the main reason I havent put a lift in my dads shop. The slab is 4" and I dont want to pay to have concrete cut out and piers poured where I want the lift.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Is that land next to your house?

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
So I got drunk and didn't report back the next day obviously. But I ended up buying a piece of land and plan to build a pretty decent shop on it, first thing is getting 2 - 40' connexes on it. Part 1:

m9KFg80.jpg

Stake the area, I think I decided on a 28'x40' slab, I don't think I will go bigger because honestly I don't need that much concrete to work on.

Connex #1:

WZvBkwt.jpg

Set in place:

w46ZLl3.jpg

poser shot:

FFFP0gM.jpg

Ultimately when #2 arrives (money is tight due to the rona) I will have a slab beforehand and then build the roof, just a slight slope to the side. Long term, I am trying to get a permit from the city to put me a power pole and I have a 200 amp main panel I am going to install. Welding machine and a small 4' x 4' cnc table, lights and all that jazz. Runner runs great, I may swap the ps pump tomorrow with the one I bought last year.. this one is toast.
Hell yeah! Awesome man!

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’

m9KFg80.jpg

Connex #1:

WZvBkwt.jpg

Set in place:

w46ZLl3.jpg

poser shot:

FFFP0gM.jpg

I would go bigger on the shop if you can afford it, it will fill up quick..., or atleast design it in a way where an addition could be easily added to one of the exterior walls.

I'd do at least 6" where you want a lift. Think that's what most of them call for. 8" if you want a bigger lift for your F250 and the like. That's the main reason I havent put a lift in my dads shop. The slab is 4" and I dont want to pay to have concrete cut out and piers poured where I want the lift.
This!

@Large and make sure you have atleast 5 ft past each lift post, trust me, I wish the South side of my shop was another 4-5 further out from my right lift post.

Large

This is all good stuff, still trying to get the slab where I want. There's a huge tree here that I want to keep but shouldn't be an issue when it's all said and done.

Taco Loco

This is all good stuff, still trying to get the slab where I want. There's a huge tree here that I want to keep but shouldn't be an issue when it's all said and done.

Take a look and pictures at large Corp automotive shops, like National, Brake Check, AAMCO, discount tire, they already spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on space utilization studies and capture the ideas you like from them, when planning out your shop/mechanic bay with a lift.

Large

It ain't much of an update but the city gave me an address yesterday. Also had an electrical contractor come and give me a quote for a pole and a 200amp main.
So I will have to install another pole within 70' of the one he wants but if the transformer will be overloaded, the city will give me a $3400 credit on my taxes if they have to change it out, which he and I agreed they will. So win for me.

Lastly I have to get a city inspector to sign off on a 'house' drawing with an engineered structure since this is near the bay and at risk of a hurricane.
Not sure what I will do, I think I will get a plan for <1000 sq ft house on a small slab or a barndo drawing.

unnamed.jpg

Taco Loco

It ain't much of an update but the city gave me an address yesterday so they can send property tax bills. Also had an electrical contractor come and give me a quote for a pole and a 200amp main.
So I will have to install another pole within 70' of the one he wants but if the transformer will be overloaded, the city will give me a $3400 credit on my taxes if they have to change it out, which he and I agreed they will. So win for me.

Lastly I have to get a city inspector to sign off on a 'house' drawing with an engineered structure since this is near the bay and at risk of a hurricane.
Not sure what I will do, I think I will get a plan for <1000 sq ft house on a small slab or a barndo drawing.

View attachment 23913

It’s a start.

Oswego

n00b
Not sure about your local laws but I have heard of a few people that got permits for a detached garage and a house because they were not allowed just a garage. Then they just built the garage and claimed they were out of money and could not build the house. Not sure how it worked out for them, but if I were you I'd butter up whoever it is who signs off on your plans in your town. Allot of people hate those guys and treat them like jerks, then next thing you know he forces you to put in some 20k environmental crap.

I got lucky in my town and dated the planners daughter - it never worked out but that's because she's a POS ~ He always liked me. Last time I was there for him to stamp my drawings for approval he never even really looked at them. Asked me what I was doing - told him - he asked if it was to code - I said yes - he stamped my plans and took my copies for him. lol Was just a new deck, new shed, and fence location change, but the moral of the story is the same.

Good luck man! if you need any help looking for codes or compliance - feel free to shot me a PM. Adhering to technical building codes is kinda my thing at my day job ~ Not residential garages and not your area, but it's all similar.

CowboyTaco

Not sure about your local laws but I have heard of a few people that got permits for a detached garage and a house because they were not allowed just a garage. Then they just built the garage and claimed they were out of money and could not build the house. Not sure how it worked out for them, but if I were you I'd butter up whoever it is who signs off on your plans in your town. Allot of people hate those guys and treat them like jerks, then next thing you know he forces you to put in some 20k environmental crap.

I got lucky in my town and dated the planners daughter - it never worked out but that's because she's a POS ~ He always liked me. Last time I was there for him to stamp my drawings for approval he never even really looked at them. Asked me what I was doing - told him - he asked if it was to code - I said yes - he stamped my plans and took my copies for him. lol Was just a new deck, new shed, and fence location change, but the moral of the story is the same.

Good luck man! if you need any help looking for codes or compliance - feel free to shot me a PM. Adhering to technical building codes is kinda my thing at my day job ~ Not residential garages and not your area, but it's all similar.

x2 on the being nice to the city folks. I got on a first name basis with the city inspector in Fort Worth when we were bringing our house up to code and again when we built the detached garage. Dude was super nice and would give us a "pass" with a list of things for us to correct (if there were any). I could call him and ask if there was a certain way he wanted something done before I did it and that saved a lot of headache.

Large

Thanks man, I just need plans for a house - I have connections for engineers to sign off / stamp, that wouldn't be the issue. But I may take you up on your offer.

x2 on the being nice to the city folks. I got on a first name basis with the city inspector in Fort Worth when we were bringing our house up to code and again when we built the detached garage. Dude was super nice and would give us a "pass" with a list of things for us to correct (if there were any). I could call him and ask if there was a certain way he wanted something done before I did it and that saved a lot of headache.
Heh, I'm not a dick, first words out of my mouth are always yes sir - no sir.

Oswego

n00b
lol