What have you done to your ride lately?

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
What do you guys think about the Dorman Lower Control Arms?

TOYOTA TACOMA Dorman Control Arms 522-719

I'm between replacing the LBJs now and then doing the bushings and alignment cams at some point down the road. I wonder if I should just go ahead and replace the LCA entirely so that LBJ and bushings are replaced at the same time.

The LBJ that I have ready to swap in is the Duralast one from AZ and is greaseable ($38). The LBJ on the Dorman is identical (as far as looks) to the OEM and is non-greaseable. As far as I can find online, it looks like it's about $80 for the OEM bushings and I'd likely need someone to press the old out and the new in. So it's about the same cost to replace the LCA with the Dorman as it is to replace the LBJ and bushings on the OEM one. But I don't want to suffer inferior quality.

Something else to consider, I do intend on getting a 3rd vehicle despite what my wife says in a little over a year. I'll get a new DD when my truck turns 10, so I'll have the ability to take off both LCAs and have the truck sit while the work is done.
I always recommend going back with OEM parts now. They've lasted you quite a while up to this point so they are worth the extra money. I've had too many cheaper alternatives fail on me in the past so I don't recommend them anymore. Instead of buying the parts from a Stealership, I try to find reputable websites that offer OEM parts for cheaper. It's even better if you can find a website that takes your VIN # and finds parts off of that.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Camelback is my online go to for OEM parts now. They spent 30 mins on the phone with me about my transmission knowing they could not ship one to me. They went over my Toyota offered options and gave me all the prices. I then used that info to get $400 off the transmission price at the local dealer.

italynstylion

@CowboyTaco sucks to see you really had a hard time with it. The axle nut is a big boy and doesn't like to move. I found the impact wrench helpful there. Another tip for those that find themselves in a similar situation, before you put the truck in the air, put it in 4WD or 4WD Low to make sure the front axles won't spin. Works even better if you have a front locker. :D

When I had a CV boot rupture I ended up replacing both front axles as a sort of preventative maintenance since I figured the other side couldn't be far behind. Now I have two axles as spares. Anyway, when I put the new ones in I lubed up the splines in case I needed to remove them again. Really helps. A sledge hammer also helps get it started if you need more "persuasion".

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Well crap. About a month ago I was driving to work with the stereo on, low volume and all the sudden "BOOM"! Then a very high pitch sound out the front passenger kick panel speakers. I finally got around to troubleshooting it and discovered my Audio Control DQX is the culprit. Bad news is they no longer sell it and I don't see any Audio Control repair facilities. So... ordered a replacement for it. Its the Audio Control DM-608. Doesn't have the cool DDC like my DQX did but it is controlled via your laptop. Which is fine, once I got the DQX setup I never fucked with the settings via the DDC (and there are a shitload of settings). Good news is the new unit is a little smaller and the inputs are in the same locations so hooking it up should be simple (I probably just fucked myself ).

Old unit... you will be missed.
View attachment 11751

View attachment 11752

I contacted AudioControl via email and asked about repairs. After establishing that it was out of warranty the guy wrote and said it would be $85 to repair but only if they can fix it. Cool. So he is getting an RMA together for me and I'll mail it in. Looks like I'll have some spare equipment. Maybe the 81 can use it. :)

CowboyTaco

@CowboyTaco sucks to see you really had a hard time with it. The axle nut is a big boy and doesn't like to move. I found the impact wrench helpful there. Another tip for those that find themselves in a similar situation, before you put the truck in the air, put it in 4WD or 4WD Low to make sure the front axles won't spin. Works even better if you have a front locker. :D

When I had a CV boot rupture I ended up replacing both front axles as a sort of preventative maintenance since I figured the other side couldn't be far behind. Now I have two axles as spares. Anyway, when I put the new ones in I lubed up the splines in case I needed to remove them again. Really helps. A sledge hammer also helps get it started if you need more "persuasion".

I did put it in 4hi before starting, so that helped.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Great to have my 4Runner back. Even better to cruise down the highway 200-300 rpms lower. Even better than that to have a 1 yr unlimited mileage warranty on the transmission now.

Lots of props for Ft Worth Toyota. They came in under proposal and spent an extra hour diagnosing a broken ground wire in 3rd brake light for no charge.

Silverback

Got my stereo back up and running again. Holy shit this DM608 sounds fantastic. The DQX was amazing but this is better.

B994A9ED-5A88-4CB2-833A-153FE0A2B213.jpeg
F1912CDC-29CA-4DAE-966C-BC1176878AFA.jpeg
FA9611D1-B760-4141-93A6-BAF93A07B28B.jpeg

Silverback

This was a really expensive trip to Batteries Plus. With the upcoming Big Bend trip and the last time I was out experiencing issues with the rear battery handling the fridge and then this week the front battery started showing that it was low in the morning (truck started fine but at one point the battery monitor said it was at 50%?!. Nothing is on, no lights or anything.) anyhow, didn't want any trouble in Big Bend. So two new X2 Power AGM batteries in hand. A group 27F for the front and another group 31 for the rear. I'll keep the old ones because I don't think they are "bad" but I don't think they are something I want to risk it with. The group 31 will find its way into the shed to power the led lights in there (20 watt solar panel will keep it topped off). The group 27 I don't know yet.. I'll probably test it out with some load and see what it does with handling the power duties in the trailer. The new Excide I bought recently is a group 24 (thought it was 27 when I got it... wasn't paying that much attention). I'll compare them and see how each does.

IMG_4861.jpg

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
I think those are made by Northstar, should be able to find them cheaper than BatteryPlus, I was looking at their prices last month and they were too high. I still haven't replaced my diehard platinum 31 yet.

Silverback

They are Northstar. I'm not wasting my time trying to find it cheaper, I got $75 off the purchase so I'm happy. Plus Batteries Plus are all over. More so than Sears. :)

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
They are Northstar. I'm not wasting my time trying to find it cheaper, I got $75 off the purchase so I'm happy. Plus Batteries Plus are all over. More so than Sears. :)

$75 off sweet, surprised you didn't buy them off Amazon

Silverback

Front battery was installed, added a seat mounted "arm" to hold a tablet in the cab. Its currently holding my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. I love this thing but its limited on storage. Would like to use my Amazon Fire 7 since it has WAY more storage. But the way this thing holds the tablet won't really work with the Fire. The Fire has its on/off, volume and USB power connector right where the arms hold it. But I have Back Country Navigator Pro on it along with Torque. I like the position of the tablet but the arm bounces.. ALOT! So I need to find a way to anchor it to the center console up higher on the arm.

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg

tx_shooter

Staff member
Looks real similar to the setup I am running. I am looking for a way to stabilize it also. But overall it is a good setup.

Silverback

I'm thinking a turn-buckle attached to the arm and then to the center console somehow. Not worried about drilling a hole to attach anything to the console. I'll see how it drives but just sitting there typing on it required two hands to make it easier.

Silverback

I even cleaned the inside of my truck... something I have not done in over a year. Tidied up a few things in the cab (like two missing little cap head screws holding my winch control panel in place). Will be swapping out the Kenwood TM271 for a TM281 tonight as well.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Front battery was installed, added a seat mounted "arm" to hold a tablet in the cab. Its currently holding my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. I love this thing but its limited on storage. Would like to use my Amazon Fire 7 since it has WAY more storage. But the way this thing holds the tablet won't really work with the Fire. The Fire has its on/off, volume and USB power connector right where the arms hold it. But I have Back Country Navigator Pro on it along with Torque. I like the position of the tablet but the arm bounces.. ALOT! So I need to find a way to anchor it to the center console up higher on the arm.

View attachment 11837

View attachment 11838

View attachment 11839
Yeah that's everyone's complaint about that setup. I still need to install mine lol I've been waiting for cooler weather...guess it's time.