Just Guns

balakay

BabyMax
From all I've read online and seen, I would wait a little longer for them to develop better barrels for the Valk or I would just go 6.5.Grendel. The majority of what I've seen is guys are only able to pull off reasonable MOA groups below 77gr bullets. Well if that's the case then I'm going to go ahead and shoot a .223 77gr which is a helluva a lot cheaper and a proven cartridge.

Also, any data you see out of a bolt gun for the Valk cartridge, just throw that data out the window. This is a Semi-Auto cartridge and it should perform like they said it was going to OUT of a semi-auto. If you're going to build a bolt gun in .224 Valk than I'd recommend you pick a better caliber (6.5Creedmoor, 6mm, .260, etc...).

Yeah I've seen it go both ways. I'm still giving it a bit of time before I jump all in on it. But honestly, I will never stretch it out as far as some people are. If I can get consistent in the 800ish yard range, I'd be happy. Not going to to be pushing for 1200+. Luckily, until I buy the barrel and bolt, I'm not committed and those will probably be the last things I buy anyway. So at any point I can change it up.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Yeah I've seen it go both ways. I'm still giving it a bit of time before I jump all in on it. But honestly, I will never stretch it out as far as some people are. If I can get consistent in the 800ish yard range, I'd be happy. Not going to to be pushing for 1200+. Luckily, until I buy the barrel and bolt, I'm not committed and those will probably be the last things I buy anyway. So at any point I can change it up.
In that case, go with a 6.5G and you'll be happy. Ammo is cheaper too.

I had these opinions well before this video was posted and they were confirmed by these guys results. If you don't watch all of it, watch their final conclusion at the end.

This is a ballistic chart showing the difference between a 12.5" 6.5G barrel versus a 16" .223 barrel. So you can see how badass the 6.5G round is.
mu7PFbr.png

Last edited:

Anathollo

Staff member
What don't you like about it?
It's a cheap POS with Sig's name on it. It's picky about 9mm ammo selection and the bore axis is so damn high on it. I literally have to aim like 6" inches over the targets head at ~15 yards to get a head shot IIRC.

It was my first firearm purchase at 21 years old when I knew nothing about firearms. I went in wanting a Sig 226 but couldn't afford it so I got the 2022 thinking "it's a Sig, it'll be great quality and comparable to the 226". Wrong. It doesn't shoot anything like the 226 and I shoot the 226 like a laser beam. But that's my opinion but there's probably a million other people telling me I'm wrong. :rolleyes::borra2:

Edit: But it's your money and your guns so buy what you want. I just want y'all to buy the best you can for your money and not waste a lot of it buying dumb/bad gun parts or guns like I do. :p

Last edited:

Anathollo

Staff member
Striker fired guns are not my cup of tea
Come shoot my Glawk and XDM with my custom triggers and you might find you like em. I can't believe it's been two years since I posted that video already...damn times flies by.

Anathollo

Staff member
I am a cheap ass. My old school double sock and beans setup has worked well over the years. At some point it will get upgraded/replaced but until then it is doing the job.
I'm trying to get you out of that Marine "Make Do- even though I can get better stuff" mentality that they trained/beat into you lol

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
I'm trying to get you out of that Marine "Make Do- even though I can get better stuff" mentality that they trained/beat into you lol

We do amazing things with "acquired" gear. There is a reason nobody let's Marines on their base without keeping an eye on them. lol

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member

I had these opinions well before this video was posted and they were confirmed by these guys results. If you don't watch all of it, watch their final conclusion at the end.

This is a ballistic chart showing the difference between a 12.5" 6.5G barrel versus a 16" .223 barrel. So you can see how badass the 6.5G round is.
View attachment 12786

I am looking forward to reloading the 6.5G. It is a solid round out of factory loads but there are guys using magnum primers and a little hotter powders to get an extra +100-150 fps from an 18" - 20" barrel. I prefer the shorter barrels but want to keep the FPS.

So yeah; I want my cake and plan to eat it too. So far I have good results doing it - my 20" 300WM pushes the 208gr Amax at 2750 fps. I am 75 fps under the standard 24" barrel.

achirdo

2WD FTW

View attachment 12786
Yeah that's pretty impressive. May have to look into that for the next AR build

It's a cheap POS with Sig's name on it. It's picky about 9mm ammo selection and the bore axis is so damn high on it. I literally have to aim like 6" inches over the targets head at ~15 yards to get a head shot IIRC.

It was my first firearm purchase at 21 years old when I knew nothing about firearms. I went in wanting a Sig 226 but couldn't afford it so I got the 2022 thinking "it's a Sig, it'll be great quality and comparable to the 226". Wrong. It doesn't shoot anything like the 226 and I shoot the 226 like a laser beam. But that's my opinion but there's probably a million other people telling me I'm wrong. :rolleyes::borra2:

Edit: But it's your money and your guns so buy what you want. I just want y'all to buy the best you can for your money and not waste a lot of it buying dumb/bad gun parts or guns like I do. :p
I haven't shot a p2022 yet I only have my 2 p226s I thought it was the same except the poly frame.

Anathollo

Staff member

balakay

BabyMax
I've had a $50 Cabelas gift card stashed away in my wallet since last Christmas. Got another $50 one this Christmas so I picked up some nicer cases for my rifles. 52" Plano All Weather for the Weatherby and the 42" version for the AR. Was hoping I could get the 10/22 in with the Weatgerby but since I put the Magpul stock on it, it wont quite fit. Ahh well, I'll just keep using one of the cheap cases I have for it. It doesnt need anything too fancy. I plan to pick up one of their smaller all weather cases as well that will be able to hold 4-6 pistols.

20190108_151208.jpg
20190108_151228.jpg

achirdo

2WD FTW
I've had a $50 Cabelas gift card stashed away in my wallet since last Christmas. Got another $50 one this Christmas so I picked up some nicer cases for my rifles. 52" Plano All Weather for the Weatherby and the 42" version for the AR. Was hoping I could get the 10/22 in with the Weatgerby but since I put the Magpul stock on it, it wont quite fit. Ahh well, I'll just keep using one of the cheap cases I have for it. It doesnt need anything too fancy. I plan to pick up one of their smaller all weather cases as well that will be able to hold 4-6 pistols.

View attachment 12787 View attachment 12788
That was only $100? Saw this at harbor frieght, should be getting it for my birthday soon

9800 Weatherproof Protective Rifle Case - Long

balakay

BabyMax
Noticed some surface rust on my Weatherby earlier. Trigger, bolt handle, safety, sling studs all showing rust. Going to try to clean it up the best I can but may end up going the cerakote route on the barrel to help prevent any future rusting. Noticed a spot on polished part of the bolt that is pretty rusted as well. Not sure how well it will clean up. Gotta take care of this thing. Shes my baby.

balakay

BabyMax
Come shoot my Glawk and XDM with my custom triggers and you might find you like em. I can't believe it's been two years since I posted that video already...damn times flies by.

Are you using the PRP in your XDM?

Anathollo

Staff member
Are you using the PRP in your XDM?
This is the Tactical Trigger in my Glock in the video.

But yes I have the PRP trigger in my XDM .45. It was a pain in the ass to install but so worth it. One of the best triggers I own.

balakay

BabyMax
Any recommendations for a good shooting mat? Or are they all pretty much the same? Want to start doing some more prone shooting.