Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Still no workie

Silverback

upload_2019-11-24_13-35-47.png

Silverback

Ahh.. yes.. now I see pics. I also see why you were having such a pain to find a shift knob!

Silverback

I did my fronts with 3-4 layers (depends on location).. if you tap on them from the outside they sound like you tapped on concrete. I am lazy and didn't do my rears because for a long time I didn't run them. Now that I do I should do it.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
I keep debating doing my 4Runner. Did you do the floor and doors or just the doors?
I did everything but the roof. It made a difference.
I did my fronts with 3-4 layers (depends on location).. if you tap on them from the outside they sound like you tapped on concrete. I am lazy and didn't do my rears because for a long time I didn't run them. Now that I do I should do it.
I didn't do my roof because I never wanted to fuck with the side curtain airbags. I notice the noise it when it rains.

Last edited:

CowboyTaco

I keep debating doing my 4Runner. Did you do the floor and doors or just the doors?

To date, I've done the back wall and all 4 doors. I was hoping that it was going to be relatively quiet inside the cab, but that is not the case. On the highway, it seems almost as loud as before. I didn't go 3-4 layers thick like Sean. Just 1 layer covering the majority of the panel. I also put some on the inside of the inside metal. In case that doesn't make sense, the noise dampening sheets are facing each other inside the door cavity. It's definitely better, but not like I was hoping.

From all the "research" I did prior to starting down this path (several years ago), everyone said that the back wall is where most of the noise came in. I did that first and it was better. I finally just did the doors, as it was still noisier than I like. Again, better; but now I'm wondering where else I should do it. "Everyone" said that the floor is not worth doing because of how thick the metal is and that it isn't a major source of noise. Kind of seems like the last option if I want to quiet it down even more.

I just looked on Amazon to see how much it cost for the Noico stuff that I just installed. It says to roll it on until it is smooth. Dang it. I didn't use the roller because I figured the baffles in it were supposed to be there, so I just pressed it on hard by hand. Maybe I'll be taking the door panels off again and using the roller.

Oswego

n00b
Sound deadening was one of the best mods Ive ever done to my Tacoma. Night/day difference.

I did everything but the roof. Just realized I must have done that when I took a year off all social media because none of it is in my build.

I did not use Dynamat. Used a cheap knock off thats rated similar but supposedly not as good.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
To date, I've done the back wall and all 4 doors. I was hoping that it was going to be relatively quiet inside the cab, but that is not the case. On the highway, it seems almost as loud as before. I didn't go 3-4 layers thick like Sean. Just 1 layer covering the majority of the panel. I also put some on the inside of the inside metal. In case that doesn't make sense, the noise dampening sheets are facing each other inside the door cavity. It's definitely better, but not like I was hoping.

From all the "research" I did prior to starting down this path (several years ago), everyone said that the back wall is where most of the noise came in. I did that first and it was better. I finally just did the doors, as it was still noisier than I like. Again, better; but now I'm wondering where else I should do it. "Everyone" said that the floor is not worth doing because of how thick the metal is and that it isn't a major source of noise. Kind of seems like the last option if I want to quiet it down even more.

I just looked on Amazon to see how much it cost for the Noico stuff that I just installed. It says to roll it on until it is smooth. Dang it. I didn't use the roller because I figured the baffles in it were supposed to be there, so I just pressed it on hard by hand. Maybe I'll be taking the door panels off again and using the roller.
The front driver and passenger footwells made the biggest difference for me. I actually went back and added another two layers of sound deadening there. I wanna say I used FatMat back when it had just come out and was really cheap at the time. I also rolled all of my sound deadening. I think I did 2-3 layers in the doors and at least 3 layers on the floors.

Oswego

n00b
for the floors be sure to get the anti heat stuff. I don't know about you guys but my Tacoma used to cook my feet through the firewall. it bothered me so much when I had the motor out last year I put some in the engine bay/outside of the firewall.

CowboyTaco

The front driver and passenger footwells made the biggest difference for me. I actually went back and added another two layers of sound deadening there. I wanna say I used FatMat back when it had just come out and was really cheap at the time. I also rolled all of my sound deadening. I think I did 2-3 layers in the doors and at least 3 layers on the floors.

Good info. I'll be sure to hit that spot if I ever purchase more.

for the floors be sure to get the anti heat stuff. I don't know about you guys but my Tacoma used to cook my feet through the firewall. it bothered me so much when I had the motor out last year I put some in the engine bay/outside of the firewall.

I never had that problem. I would think that it would be worse in the south with the ambient temps being so much hotter than they are in NJ.

Oswego

n00b
IDK?

NJ is in a "humid subtropical climate" per the weather guys. We get some interesting weather for Yankees

I also wear a ton of sandals in summer cause wearing boots at work for 50-60hrs a week sucks and my piggy's gotta breath when I'm not working.